Mating Behaviour but No Mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbell277

I have had my male beardie for about 3 years now and I have previously brought home a female about the same age as I wanted to trial breeding. Getting my beardies to communicate has been very difficult as the female has quite a dopey personality. I have introduced them by doing things such as:

- putting male in female enclosure and vice versa
- fed them together
- put them together where neither were in control 'no mans land'

After getting them introduced, my male seems to just head bob and sometimes even head butting the female, while she just sits there... my male will get bored and go off somewhere else as she doesn't respond with any behaviour or body posture.

Am I missing something? Is there anything I can do to trigger breeding?

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
My female has never responded to my the behaviour if my male, though hey only see each other occasionally through glass lol, but I think they're just not interested in each other, same as some people I think :)
Do you already have buyers if you d manage to breed? I only as as I got jubsie from a breeder who couldn't find buyer, so ended up selling the for £10 each, which worked out at a massive loss for her :( x

jbell277

Original Poster
I started with my male beardie, who I've had for 3 years now and I decided I would trial breeding, so I found a female for him... they have separate enclosures and she's been around for about a month now. I've attempted introducing them which has actually turned out okay (I'm guessing the not having to fight for food/basking light etc has helped). Recently my male has started to get excited about her being there so he will wall dance and darken his beard, so I take both of them out and put them on the floor (I've been doing this once a day for about a week now). After this they seem to do the whole mating dance which I hope is what it is, which will be circling each other, biting (but not excessively or intensely) and my male will bob his head and she will arm wave, my male will also bite her neck and she will dip her head. My problem is, they have been doing this for a while now and after they are finished these behaviours my male will just wall dance the mirror in my room for ages... I know that they haven't actually mated cause I watch them to make sure they don't hurt each other. So what's the next step? Do I trust them enough to leave them in the same enclosure for a bit to mate? or do I just continue doing this until they are ready or is this not the right behaviour for mating?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're going about it the right way. He has to want to mate, otherwise it just won't happen. If they DO mate are you going to try to raise a lot of babies ? Be aware that it costs a lot of money + time to raise babies and there are tons of beardies everywhere for sale, many of which never find a good home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom