Gravid female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
So my beardies been acting a bit off lately, for the last month she slowed down her eating now I saw this as normal because she's full grown or very, very close to it. I started to feed her insects only twice a week she's was eating a few bugs and picking at her veggies. Now last week her appetite picked up a bit and she ate a good amount of both bugs and veggies then all of a sudden this past saturday she refused to eat anything. I gave her a some pieces of fruit which she took but that's all she's eaten since last friday. Now since their have been times that she gets like this and she usually comes around after a day or two but yesterday I even offered supers and nothing which she always go's for. I figured she might have to poop cause she hadn't gone in like a week so I gave her a bath, she did poop but later on. I tried to get her to warm up after but she didn't want to and started running around my bed like crazy I've never seen her move so much. So I put her back in her tank and then she was fine. I got the feeling she wanted to sit under the uvb. She hasn't scratched at the glass like I read most gravid females do. But considering her weight and lack of wanting to eat I was wondering if this sounds like a female wanting to lay eggs?

Edit* forgot to mention she's not losing any weight, not lethargic, she's maintaining weight at around 670g
Here are some pics of her:
88676-4205533816.jpg
88676-503315595.jpg
88676-279598390.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's entirely possible. Can you feel any eggs along her belly when you hold her? I would build a dig box and see how she reacts to it.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Her belly feels soft, no lumps or anything that I can feel when I hold her. I'll try putting her in and see what happens, I have a 20g tote, is that big enough? I'm also going to stop by the hardware store to get some topsoil anything I should look out for with topsoil like chemicals or something? I would get playsand but I don't think they have that at this hardware store.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah 20g should work I'd imagine. I would get organic topsoil to avoid possibly harmful fertilizers as much as possible.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is topsoil and potting soil different, I only see organic potting mix with earthworm castings and myco-tone, whatever that means? They also have organic vermiculite

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The potting soil ingredients are spaghnum peat moss, peat humus, perlite, earthworm castings and limestone, the brand is espoma organic potting mix

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So that didn't go well, not only did she not want to dig, she kept trying to eat the soil then she became frantic trying to get out. So I took her out put her on the screen top I had on there for the lights, while I was adjusting something she darted to the edge of the screen fell off landed on my bed got her legged stuck on the screen luckily it doesn't look like she's injured. But now she is running around her tank like a maniac, I have no idea what she wants, I've never seen her like this. When I saw her try to eat the soil I offered her a roach and a super, she ate the super and pooped. Now she's trying to climb out her tank

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like that may have stressed her out for some reason. I'd give her some space to settle down for a while and maybe try it again later, especially if you see her start digging in her tank.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got her to finally calm down and I tried again this time she just stood there and didn't move for a while like 20min then she started tring to get out and then she tried to eat the soil again so I took her out. I put her back in her tank she went a little crazy again but this time calmed down after like 10min. She's basking on her hammock, I think that's enough for today. The eating the soil thing is concerning me though, can that get her sick?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Myco tone is something man made and trademarked, supposed to help with water uptake for the plants and perlite is also not really great so I wouldn't use that. Do you have a walmart nearby or Lowe's/Home Depot ? They would all have children's playsand . If you don't have any, see if your pet store has eco earth coco fiber ? It comes in a brick + expands when water is added. You'll want to pile it high on one side like a hill, then start a tunnel for her with your hand. If tha doesn't work you can get a large shoe or boot box and cut one end off. Turn it upside down to form a cave and place it on top of the sand/soil and push it in. That may appeal to her as a cave. It's common for them to be a bit crazy as they're getting ready to lay so that's not abnormal.

I think your dragon does look gravid, aside from that she is somewhat overweight so try to cut back on her live feedings. Once they become overweight it"s pretty hard for them to lose it and they eventually become couch potatoes with potential health problems. She's a beauty though. :)

Vh621

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yar she's a big one, she grew so fast, it was nuts. She's definitely not eating a lot of bugs these days though?. As for playsand will this work
88676-8173174052.jpg
I was tring to avoid lugging something like this on the train but looks like that might be unavoidable, sigh?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, playsand will work. If you could find plain topsoil w/out the additives that would work as well. Are you in the U.S ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, I know that some of the posters here from the U.K. often travel by train and don't have access to some of the same stores that most of us have in the U.S, so I figured you were either from a big city or another country. What store are you going to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom