How many times will my girl lay eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we bought our Beardie a year ago in May as a baby, and she started laying eggs in about March. She has laid eggs 4 times some then, and it is now June. She has never been around a male Beardie so the eggs are always infertile. Is this normal? How many times will she lay eggs? Will she lay eggs year round now, or only during a certain part of the year? I have so many questions that I can't find answers to!

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
Weirdybeardie":3cv4f6ou said:
So we bought our Beardie a year ago in May as a baby, and she started laying eggs in about March. She has laid eggs 4 times some then, and it is now June. She has never been around a male Beardie so the eggs are always infertile. Is this normal? How many times will she lay eggs? Will she lay eggs year round now, or only during a certain part of the year? I have so many questions that I can't find answers to!

SHe's old enought that she will produce unfertile eggs, which is fine and completely normal. She can lay eggs how ever many times in her lifetime, there's no set number. But it's perfectly fine for it to happen, and if you want to provide her a little box with sand in it so she can bury her eggs in, that's a good idea too.

Weirdybeardie

Original Poster
Okay, good to know that this is all normal, I think my main concern is how many times she has laid the eggs. Is it something that varies a whole lot from dragon to dragon? I mainly ask this because it seems to take everything out of her when she lays these eggs (even with us upping her calcium when she starts showing signs that she is going to lay, and after she lays) and feeding her like CRAZY, I can't believe the amount of roaches she goes through. She is always super duper skinny, and sort of lethargic afterwards, and I just wonder how many more times our poor girl will go through this before she gets a break. It seems to make her a little more tired each time, and I really worry about her well being at this point. We would like to eventually breed her, so we don't want to get her fixed, but it is starting to seem as if that is the only option,

Also, I saw a couple places that giving her a pinky mouse after she lays could help, are there any arguments against trying this? I definitely don't want to make things worse on her!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post pics of her, before + after ? Or if you don't have those, just pics of her now ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

Feed her twice a day if she'll eat more that way. What you have [ roaches ] is fine for her, a pinky isn't going to make a bit of difference. Along with the insects, offer greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion and squash . Also be sure to offer water, usually they will drink if soaked for 10 minutes after laying. Then offer water with a dropper or spray bottle about every 5-7 days , drip on her snout until she drinks. Hydration is very important.

Weirdybeardie

Original Poster
I will post pictures as soon as I get home from work, I don't have a recent before, but I have several of her at her normal weight, and it has been about 4 days since her last time laying, so she has a little of her weight back now, but I think you will still be able to tell.

We almost always feed both of our girls twice a day (we probably feed them wayyyy to much, haha) especially after Floki lays (Hede's also gets the benefits, because we can't feed one and not the other, haha)

We also always keep water containers on their cool sides. My fiancé built them huge enclosures, so the water is far enough from the light, that we never worry too much about the humidity. So water is always readily available to them, and we bath them both at least once a week, it always makes them use the bathroom (which is way easier to clean, than in the enclosure) and it also ensures that we keep them both well hydrated (they rarely drink out of their water bowls in the enclosure, at least that I see) so we like to make double sure they are getting water. And Floki LOVES the bath, she swims, and splashes, she really enjoys it! So I really don't think dehydration is a factor since we keep them pretty well hydrated all the time.

Also, are there any food items (bugs, pinkies, veggies, etc) that anyone would recommend to help her strength and calcium before during and after laying?

Thank you so much for the replies, I just want to make sure that we do all that we can to keep our girls healthy and happy!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good old Rep-cal calcium with and without D3 can be used , depending on what type of lighting you have. Just put it on one feeding per day, not too heavily. Some owners use liquis calcium if they suspect the dragon is not getting enough with the powder.

What exact type + brand of lights do you have Be specific, and post pics of the enclosure as well.

Sounds like you made a nice large playground for her. :)

Weirdybeardie

Original Poster
Hi! Thank you for the response, I will post the pictures of the enclosure as soon as I get home from work as well!

The Day lights that we have are Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 Fluorescent Lamp, 15-Watt/18-Inch, and they are only about 2 months old (I know you are supposed to replace them once a year)

And the heat lights that we use are described as "GLISTENY Infrared Reptile Pet Brooder Breeding Ceramic Emitter Heat Light Bulb110V 25-250W Heater White Lamp 75W Heater Lamp" From where I ordered them on amazon, and they are just ceramic bulbs that produce heat with no light. We started with the red night lights, but it messed with both girls sleeping patterns, and they both would hide at night, now with out the light, they just sleep in the middle of the enclosure! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom