Stress when not breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat4130

My girlfriend and I have two bearded dragons that are seperately housed from eachother, one male and one female. They do not have any FoV of eachother, however on semi-frequent occasions, they do have vision of eachother when one or the other is being taken out. The male has been of mating age for a couple years now, and ever since he saw her as an older juvenile, he has been pretty excited by the prospect of mating with her. She, on the other hand is a bit younger than him, and has just sort in the last couple months reached full on adulthood, and has been less enthusiastic at his attempted approaches. But just tonight, as we took our boy out, he started woo-ing her, and she finally responded with slow push-ups, which seemed to be quite enticing by the level of response that our boy got for her. To sum it up! They want to mate, but we do not really think it would be best if we allowed them to mate, though if they did, we would do our best to raise and find a good home, we really don't like the idea of bringing more beardies into an already over-saturated market, when so many already do not have homes. If they continue to see each other from afar, will the stress of not being able to mate be detrimental to their health? Psychological or physical?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with your thinking on this one. They are just doing what they're designed to do. It won't hurt them not to mate. Do your best to keep them away from eachother. give them their own space and own time outside of the tank. They will show interest in eachother now and then but will be fine on their own. Several folks on this board have multiple dragons and just keep them apart and it works out.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Even males on their own will display during the breeding season. Don't worry about it. Refraining from breeding is for the best.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's best for them not to see each other at all.....not really fair for them to have the natural + strong mating drive accelerated by viewing a potential mate with no chance to get to each other.

mfaith31

AHBD":3hq9lyim said:
It's best for them not to see each other at all.....not really fair for them to have the natural + strong mating drive accelerated by viewing a potential mate with no chance to get to each other.

Loving this answer! In fact, it's the only reason I breed at all. I have two mating pairs and they alternate years. One time only and it's pretty much just to get them to calm down (otherwise they act silly as hell all year long). I know that sounds horrible but can you imagine?!?!

I hear what is being said about not wanting to bring more dragons into an already saturated market. So, I have to agree with you. I wouldn't let them see eachother at all if they aren't going to get to have a go at it. It's just mean. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom