General egg-laying questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryphex

My beardie is gravid (verified by a vet) and I'm trying to prepare a place for her to lay her eggs. I'm 100% sure they'll be dud eggs, but I still want to provide a comfortable place for her when the time comes since this is a first for both of us. I've heard of people using dirt or damp sand in a box for them to dig and then lay the eggs, but I couldn't find a topic about it. What kind of set up should I have for her? Is there anything I should be on the look out for? If she becomes egg-bound, how can I recognize that?

Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....a medium plastic tote [ about 26" H , 26" L + 16" W ] or about that size. Sand or sand + plain topsoil , both from Walmart/Home Depot can be dumped in about 10" high. Add warm water , mix until it's damp but not wet, just enough to clump when you squeeze it and can make a tunnel with it. Pile it higher on one side and start a tunnel by hand. You can use an upside down shoebox with one end cut out to support the sand [ making the shoebox like a cave, half packed with the mix ]

You can also use a smaller container like this one here that some of my girls used that fit in their large enclosure.

A dragon would act quite sick if eggbound, very lethargic + possibly backbeard.

Gryphex

Original Poster
Perfect, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks so much!

I'm not completely sure when she's going to lay them. What can I watch out for in her behavior to know that the time is close?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom