Laying Eggs in stages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if beardies can lay eggs in stages or if I should be concerned?
My girl is almost 4yo. She laid 22 infertile eggs about a year ago in the bathtub. Last Thurs (today is Tues) she laid one egg and none sense. A few facts: she had not eaten since last Thurs, she's been getting long daily soaks in bath multiple times a day, lots of running around time, does not appear lethargic and no black beard, and she wants nothing to do with the sand (lay bin)-she wants out immediately! Prior to the one egg, she had been acting "crazy". Constantly wanting out of cage to run around. she gets this way before a shed as well. For the past few days, she is way calmer/more normal, but still wants to run several times a day. I'm sure she is looking for a place to lay, but won't do it in the sand or bath. Again, should I be concerned since she is NOT giving any signs of stress?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You should not let her run or give her more than 1 bath every other day. My girls would get restless but I would leave them in the laybox for several hours at a time. They must like the feel of the laybox though. Can you post a pic of yours or at least describe it in detail ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

What I did for my girls use a medium plastic tote and pile the sand/soil up about 12" high on one side and then start a tunnel. If the tunnel collapsed I used a thick cardboard box upside down in the sand , pack it with sand and allow that to be the tunnel. You can also use a smaller one like this and cover the entrance while she's in there. They will dig and soon realize that this is the place to lay.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

If you allow them to run all over, they do not know what to do. Confined to a laybox for hours at a time , with breaks in between to heat up or for a drink will work 90 % of the time.

lovebeardies

Original Poster
I have a similar tote with a lot of sand, but didn't have a top on it. The examples I had seen told me to make sure it was warm. This just allowed her to jump out! I covered it with a piece of cardboard with a small hole for light. She tried to get out for probably a half hour, but I'm excited to report, she has started to dig! Crossing fingers....

Curious, when you said not to let her run around, was that only now when I know she needs to lay eggs? I would not know any other way for her to get exercise otherwise.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good, hopefully she'll accept this as her nest and get the job done. :) And yes, I just meant because she's ready to lay, having already laid one she almost surely needs to lay the rest as soon as possible.

lovebeardies

Original Poster
THANK YOU! She only dug for a little bit. Kept her in for about two hrs with no eggs. Then back in her cage and she started laying about 30 minutes later. She is at 24 eggs at this point. I think just putting the top on the bin got her to finally dig a bit and it started the process. Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your're welcome, glad to hear that she got about her business. :) If she had had been left in the box for a bit longer , chances are that's where she would have laid them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom