female beardie only laid one egg and ate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BranD4E

My husband and I are concerned. We have a male (Zeus) and a female (Athena) bearded dragon. I know alot of people say this, but we were told that Athena was a male when we rescued her. Two days ago she laid one egg. We weren't sure what to do so we quickly did a Google search. According to our research, we believe the egg was fertile. Soon after we set up a laying tank, Athena ate her egg. I picked her up and her stomach feels hard and it kindof looks like there is other eggs in there. She's eating normally and drinking more water than normal.
Is there anything to be concerned about? Will she lay other eggs? How long should we leave her in the lay tank?

BranD4E

Original Poster
Today, 1 week later, Athena laid a second egg. I'd that normal for a first time layer? Should I be concerned?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I don't know a lot about this process but, I do know that they need a lot of good meals a good calcium intake during and after. This could be why she ate the first one... Calcium. Not sure but could be possible.
If they mated she can lay many clutches of eggs over a span of time, they store sperm to fertilize more eggs later is what they say. You will need to keep them separated from here on out as the male will just keep it up. She doesn't need that stress.
Extra calcium dusting
Extra bugs
Extra greens

BranD4E

Original Poster
I woke up this morning and now the egg looks deflated. Should I still keep it under the light? My incubator should be here today. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom