Phantom Pregnancy? Male required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexWilson

Hi there, I'm new to the group so hey everyone!

I have two beardies (among many other reptiles), both of which are female and my concern is for my sub adult (cb16). She has been "nesting" for roughly 3 months now. I regularly check that she doesn't have any eggs, I even tried providing a lay box which she explored and then completely ignored. She is eating, pooping and shedding well so I guess her health isn't the biggest problem but someone suggested she might need to be introduced to a male to "get it out of her system". Can anyone please share their advice? She has always been active but now she just wants to lie under the same hide in the same corner of the viv and dig. I've checked all the usuals, and if it weren't for the fact her appetite hasn't decreased I would probably have put it down to a juvenile attempt at brumation. Now I wonder if it is some kind of "phantom pregnancy"?

Any and all advice/shared experiences are very much appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Females can develop and lay eggs without a male. They are infertile eggs and this is quite common for an adult. If she is restless and digging a lot she may need to lay eggs. It's good that her appetite is up. Has she been losing any weight? You might want to put some fleece scraps in the tank for her to dig and burrow in. The dig box is also a good idea so I'd keep offering time in that. I don't advise putting dragons together at all.

Are you certain she is female? Males can have restless behavior based on hormones from time to time. 3 months seems like quite a long time for a female to show this behavior. If you are certain she is female and doesn't lay eggs soon you may want to bring her to the vet for an exam and possibly x-ray to investigate further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom