incubator temp please help eggs due soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
my citrus female is due to lay eggs in two weeks and im having some problems with my incubator its a tub in a tub incubator with a fish tank heater and insulation around it is ranging from 80f at night and goes up too 86f in day would that range in temperature from night and day be fine ? its the only incubator i have atm and cant get any help would be much appreciated :D

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
The 80°F range is a bit low, but it should be fine, I use to shoot for 84°F. You might want to have an extra aquarium heater ready. They frequently burn up... It's not the best way to incubate eggs but if it's all you got its better than nothing (not much better though).

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Here's one of my incubators, I have 4 of them.
[ximg]85426 273984401[/ximg]
Here is something that would work better than an aquarium heater. It's actually one of my roach bins, I put two bins together and put insulation between them, it's heated with a 50 watt ceramic heater. It's controlled by a thermostat and it's on a dimmer switch as a safety measure. If you make one you don't need vents in the lid. Please don't make something like this unless your very careful. If not done properly you could burn your house down.
[ximg]85426 9148220317[/ximg]
[ximg]85426 7300542081[/ximg]

welshbeardeddragon

Original Poster
thanks for great post rankins :D never thought a ceramic heater would work i have some spare thermostats around this will be my first ever bearded dragon eggs will be buying a reliable reptile incubator for next lot of eggs :D

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I would make an incubator. They work better than the cheap commercial ones. If you decide to do that let me know and I'll help as much as possible. I don't know how many I have built because it's a lot. I made at least 8 in the last 6 months. I make them for free for people as long as they buy the supplies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Home made incubators like Rankin's are very reliable + much better than the commercial ones. I used an old full size refrigerator with a 25 watt light bulb for years. Fortunately, even your little incubator with the aquarium heater can even work reasonably well and the eggs are pretty forgiving when temps. fall a bit low, it's the high [ above 88 ] that can kill them. A bit of temp. fluctuation that you described shouldn't hurt them.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
When I first started breeding reptiles I used an aquarium heater. It burned out 3 times and my first clutch failed miserably, my second only one hatched. Then I made an incubator like AHBD out of an old fridge. After that I never had a clutch fail, so have been using the same design for the last 30 years.

Welshbeardeddragon, my roach bin design only fluctuates by 3 degrees. But it's only because the cheap $17 thermostat takes 3°F to turn of and on. You don't have to use water at all with the design and make sure to use a dimmer switch. A 25 watt ceramic heater wasn't enough to heat the bin. But I figure my 50 watt heater is working at about 35 watts with the dimmer switch. Please do be careful building it, plastic and heat don't get along well if temps get too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom