Egg Incubator Advice or Help Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivi_ends013

Beardie name(s)
King Julien
So I am a bit new to this whole breeding thing. I have already had my two beardies mate, and now there is a good chance that my female is carrying. I need to prepare for eggs just in case and can't find out exactly what materials I need. I have recently read some articles where Vermitile substrate, I think that is what it is called but I am not sure, was used to lay the eggs on. But I am not sure exactly what incubator I need or where to find it. I need a relatively small one for just a single clutch. I was looking them up and also wondered if some do not require substrate? I politely request that you instruct me on what I need amd how to assemble it for a single clutch of beardy eggs. Also I need to try to keep a pretty low budget.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I build incubators all the time, I have made about 10 in the last year. I build them for free for people other than the expense for supplies.
Some of my reptile eggs (not bearded dragons) incubate for 6-8 months and my incubators work flawlessly. I have been building them the exact same way for 30 years because they work so well.
I'll try to post some pictures of my incubators tonight. Right now I have 4 of them...
As for the vermiculite I mix it at a 2:1 ratio by weight, 2 parts vermiculite to 1 part water. I have used pearlite before also...but I like vermiculite better.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Please know an incubator doesn't need to be as nice as mine. I have even made them out of camping coolers.
My big refrigerator incubator, heated with two 75 watt ceramic heaters, has a fan for circulation. Thermostat is a Herpstat 1, it turns on the heat and fan. The extra ceramic heaters in there were replaced by the black stubby ones. The white ones are not hooked up.....[ximg]85426 8965108781[/ximg][ximg]85426 1193924137[/ximg][ximg]85426 560382493[/ximg][ximg]85426 1582480362[/ximg]
My Gila "Monster" energy drink incubator. Right now it's being used as a nursery for the baby beaded lizards. Temp controlled by a cheap thermostat...I'm going to buy another Herpstat 1. I have the lights on remote control, so that's the stuff next to the thermostat. I cant take a picture of the two 75 watt heat emitters because they are hidden by the sheet metal the fan is on. The heat and fan are turned on by the thermostat.
[ximg]85426 8556923475[/ximg][ximg]85426 8024804322[/ximg][ximg]85426 2815775792[/ximg]
Hope this helps...if you have any questions I'll do my best to help you get things squared away. Or if your near Oregon I'll build you one.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
My Colman cooler roach bins could also be used as an incubator. But you would have to build it wisely. Heat and plastic dont mix very well.
[ximg]85426 6064186790[/ximg][ximg]85426 8025580584[/ximg]

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Forgot I took pictures of this incubator I made for someone. The fan is lit up because the light sockets are behind it and I used lightbulbs for heat. She didn't buy the ceramic heaters for it. Light bulbs work though...[ximg]85426 2407940123[/ximg][ximg]85426 4691898017[/ximg][ximg]85426 7755918558[/ximg]
Hmm...maybe I got more pictures ;)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Low budget incubator (it's my dubia bin)...
Just don't put vents in the lid. It's two bins with insulation between them. Heated with a 50watt ceramic heat emitter. Thermostat and dimmer switch used to control heat. Again, it's plastic and heat...so build and use wisely. I bought heat shielding to put on the bottom and top of the lid....just havent done it yet. Might cut a section out of the lid and bolt some sheet metal where the light socket is.
A cheap $17 thermostat from Amazon, a $15 dimmer switch, approx $20 for bins, $10 light socket, ceramic heater $10...insulation was free from a frozen rat order.
About a $70 incubator.
[ximg]85426 9148220317[/ximg][ximg]85426 7300542081[/ximg]

Cls24

Our dragon just had 17 eggs they all look fertil I think. We got a incubator and wanted to know if we can put them directly on the plastic grid or do we need to put them in a container with sand and put that on the plastic grill. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom