Bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rene

My male bearded just mated with my female, I was out of the room when it happened and when I came back I saw him in the mating position and there was blood on his foot. Is this normal? This is the first time either have bred.

Worried Mom :(

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
did you want them to breed? i suggest you seperate them right away and keep the seperated for now on because he will keep breeding with her and cause her to become stressed and possibly get sick. about the blood i have no idea id keep an eye on her.
are you prepared for 44 babies that eat 40-80 crickets a day?

Rene

Original Poster
I hadn't planned on breeding them, or at least I wasn't sure if I would breed them but I see now it's a bit late now :oops: I see the blood most likely came from her (genital region) she is eating now and seems fine. I will move her to another tank and keep a close eye on her. She has over come a lot before I adopted her. The person who raised her didn't give her the proper lighting or food and suplements, so her tail, front arms head and mouth are deformed. She gets around fine, and eats great, and is growing nicely now. I wasn't sure if she would ever get bigger when I first got her but she's proved me wrong on just about everything so far. A fighter for sure and as sweet as can be. Her name is Baby Girl.
Thank you for the advice, if we do get eggs I will do my best to hatch them and see where this adventure takes us.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
Rene":1dz8vlwq said:
I hadn't planned on breeding them, or at least I wasn't sure if I would breed them but I see now it's a bit late now :oops: I see the blood most likely came from her (genital region) she is eating now and seems fine. I will move her to another tank and keep a close eye on her. She has over come a lot before I adopted her. The person who raised her didn't give her the proper lighting or food and suplements, so her tail, front arms head and mouth are deformed. She gets around fine, and eats great, and is growing nicely now. I wasn't sure if she would ever get bigger when I first got her but she's proved me wrong on just about everything so far. A fighter for sure and as sweet as can be. Her name is Baby Girl.
Thank you for the advice, if we do get eggs I will do my best to hatch them and see where this adventure takes us.
it could be dangerous for her because she is so deformed (which meens she has a calcium deficiency) i meen its hard on beardies that are in tip top shape. she really shouldnt have been anywhere near him in the first place this could kill her.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I would take her to a reptile veterinarian tomorrow. A deformed dragon is not a good breeder and I don't think it is a good idea to bring dragons into the world that come from a sick parent. The odds are that you will have sick babies and many will fail to thrive. It just sounds like a really sad situation. My first thought is to take her to the vet ASAP.

Please move her to another tank and keep her off any loose substrate. What do you have for a tank substrate?

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Even very minor calcium deficiency can become a critical problem when females are bred. Females with Metabolic Bone Disease are not equipped to handle the development of fertile eggs and deformations can make laying very difficult. She will need extra special care and supervision up until she lays (though hopefully she won't), including calcium supplementation (A lot more than normal, talk to a vet!!), vitamin supplements, an excellent UVB light and as much access to unfiltered sunlight as you can possibly offer her. This is very serious, and you really need to take her to a knowledgeable reptile vet ASAP!!

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
Yes, I have to agree. Perhaps the reptile vet can spay her and if she has eggs remove them. You don't want egg binding where she cannot lay the eggs. That is an extremely dangerious thing for beardie girls. I would mention the blood to the vet too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The blood very probably came from his claws accidentally grasping his own hemipene as he mated, it happens occassionally and is not usually a problem. As was mentioned, keep them separate and don't allow the male to breed for a while, even with other females, because the blood probably came from him, let him heal up. The female needs special care if she is underweight/ sick + has MBD...extra calcium for sure.

Rene

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input on this, I'm feeling very lousy about letting this happen :( I have separated them and looking for a vet in town that takes reptiles. (I'm in a very small town on the Oregon Coast) When weather permits I love taking them outside to get as much natural sunlight as possible. Yes I have the right lighting that is needed for them as well. They are fed a variety of foods, such as fresh greens and veggies, some fruits, Reptile Munchies (Vegetable mix and Omnivore mix that you soak in water) Fortified Bearded dragon food (small red pellets) as well as healthy organic baby foods such as squash, sweet potatoes. They also get a pinky mouse on occasion. I dust their food every other day with calcium powder, and on the other days I use a vitamin spray. They are given soak baths several times a week as well. Both look fine right now, my girl eats very well and isn't very picky at all, she has doubled her size since I was given her about 5 months ago. My male is big and seems very healthy. I haven't seen any more bleeding (it wasn't much in the first place) so I'm glad about that. I'm trying very hard to give them what they need and not to let this happen again.
Again, I know I was stupid for letting this happen even though I wasn't trying to mate them, it is still my fault for having them in the same tank. I had at first thought the girl was a boy, because that was what I had been told when I got her, but again no excuse.

Rene

mistygirl

Hatchling Member
Don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you take excellent care of your beardies. We all learn from our mistakes. I certainly am not and don't claim to be an expert on beardies. I read a lot of info on this site. I have a couple books. I google things. I am learning. This is my first experience with lizards. I have learned so much from this site in particular and the support of everyone is wonderful. They are separate now. Seems like they are ok. Just keep an eye on them (especially the female) and look for a vet that can treat reptiles. It is hard even in larger towns. There is none in my hometown and I have to travel. I had a recommendation to a reptile/exotic closer to me which I may check out on her next visit, but if I don't like them as much, I'll be trekking my hour long trip with my girl. I am hopeful that more and more vets will see the joys of reptiles and get certified. Let's face it, I think more and more people are seeing the joy of having a reptile and they need treatment right???

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
mistygirl":3bvacieo said:
Don't beat yourself up. Sounds like you take excellent care of your beardies. We all learn from our mistakes. I certainly am not and don't claim to be an expert on beardies. I read a lot of info on this site. I have a couple books. I google things. I am learning. This is my first experience with lizards. I have learned so much from this site in particular and the support of everyone is wonderful.

Same here - 2011 was my first year having reptiles and I have a lot to learn still. So much of learning is experience, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom