how old does a beardie have to be in order to breed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
I just want to know because I have two beardies but do not plan on having any young beardies.
mine are almost a year old now.

In addition I want to know what season or how often will they breed

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they are housed together, they might breed at a really young age. Usually a male will be ready to breed way before the female, but he won't wait for her to be ready. This can cause some serious damage to your female to have to carry eggs at such a young age.

You should keep them separated and only let them be together for the sole purpose of breeding then take them back apart right when they are done.

I would wait until a female is 2 years old before breeding.

-Brandon

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":eas3ka1s said:
If they are housed together, they might breed at a really young age. Usually a male will be ready to breed way before the female, but he won't wait for her to be ready. This can cause some serious damage to your female to have to carry eggs at such a young age.

You should keep them separated and only let them be together for the sole purpose of breeding then take them back apart right when they are done.

I would wait until a female is 2 years old before breeding.

-Brandon
thanks I have no intent on breeding
I don't even know the sexes I posted pics before but people couldn't tell the sex of one of my beardies.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
WestCoastDragons":2atynvta said:
They can breed as young a six months sometimes. If they are together you really should determine sex.
Breeding a 6 month old dragon will put the female in a multitude of health risks. Premature females typically cannot lay eggs, they may produce something but, the eggs are either reabsorbed or they become bound. This is a potential set up for adverse health risks. :?
Why would this information be given out to someone who is asking, if they are asking they clearly do not know the answer. If they do not know the answer then it is probably safe to say they do not know the risks.

Beardednoob":6zsone4n said:
WestCoastDragons":6zsone4n said:
They can breed as young a six months sometimes. If they are together you really should determine sex.

Why would this information be given out to someone who is asking, if they are asking they clearly do not know the answer. If they do not know the answer then it is probably safe to say they do not know the risks.

Beardednoob
They are not planning on breeding. If they are together and are opposite sexes they could breed.
They asked for info on how old they have to be to breed
see below:

Question: "how old does a beardie have to be in order to breed?"
Answer:They can breed as young a six months sometimes.

Now they know the answer
Simple

dragonjim

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks I have a nieghbor who might be able to tell the sex and in addition a lady at petsmarts said she could tell the sex
new question how can I tell if they are attempting to breed

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
WestCoastDragons":3aqohvox said:
Beardednoob":3aqohvox said:
WestCoastDragons":3aqohvox said:

Beardednoob
They are not planning on breeding. If they are together and are opposite sexes they could breed.
see below:

Now they know the answer
Simple

And would you breed your dragons at 6 months?

dragonjim:
The male will head bob puff his beard and get on the back of the female biting on to the back of her neck. Some slight variations. Not all at once the head bobbing is a type of courtship, kind of like a bird dancing.

Beardednoob
see below:

Now they know the answer
Simple[/quote]

And would you breed your dragons at 6 months?

Here is a hint NOOB. Read what is posted!
If you can't figure it out I cant help you.
The drama is not necessary.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
Im very confused here. In order for a female to SAFELY breed, it is recommended that she is at least 18 months old, and for a male 1 year. Why would you tell a person who may not know that that yeah, go ahead and put them in together at 6 months? He may not want to breed them now, but in the future? Maybe in the future when a female is 6 months old he thinks...well a reptile breeder says they can breed this young. I'm going to try it...

Seriously?
(Good thing I’m bored right now)
I will try and get this through one last time since it seems so difficult to understand> I did not recommend to breed at 6 months I merely answered the question and stated that dragons can sometimes breed as young a six months. GET IT? Either way you should really stop wasting peoples time to read this.

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
What don't you get, BEARDED DRAGONS SHOULD NOT BE BRED AT 6 MONTHS!

btw, im not forcing anyone to read what I type. You can ignore this thread for all I care. Im trying to help a person that may not know any better.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A question was asked and it was answered, please don't continue to argue with each other. Rudeness is not allowed here. Let the discussion continue where it left off so that we don't have to lock this thread and send out warnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom