A Pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFdragon

My family has done our research and our now ready for the responsibility that comes with breeding dragons! I was just wondering if people who know the reptile market better then me could answer a question. We are interested in a pair, and I wanted to know if this was the time of year wear you are most likely to find one. We would be looking at our local reptile expo of course. Can't wait to hear the feedback.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
a lot of people seem to breed in the spring and have things hatching now, so make sure you dont get a female that just laid 3 clutches in a row for someone else. Its a good time to get babies though and grow them out for next year. I'm going this route with what I'm buying in the immediate future, or at the oldest, sub adults. Last time I got an adult female she was already pregnant so I didn't get to choose who to breed her with the choice was made more me, and shes still not completely comfortable being handled(but getting better). I think its better to grow out babies anyway, because you get to watch them grow and make sure they get to be well socialized with people, not to mention that you know how old it is. I'd at the very least go with reputable breeders if your getting any adult females. People can be greedy and a lot of them wouldn't hesitate to sell an old worn out pregnant dragon and lie about it.

GFdragon

Original Poster
thanks for the advice, but im still gonna try looking for some adults. I wont have as much time once the summers over, so im gonna try breeding during the warmer months.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
you probably shouldn't even do it. By the time you get them, then they get settled in and mate, then gestation of the eggs. They have multiple clutches over a span of months. Those eggs still have to incubate before hatching, and you should grow babies up for a month before selling them. And you cant plan on them selling right away. If you started now, you'll end up with babies longer down the road than your thinking.

GFdragon

Original Poster
I understand, but its not even the time as much. i dont want to go through the process of growing the babies to adults, and then breeding them. there are many reputable breeders out there, and i will look at my local herp expos to find one with some young healthy adults.

GFdragon

Original Poster
Alright, so I have had a change of heart, and have decided to go with babies instead. Now, how do I know which will be big enough to breed, or is this just a gamble? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom