Baby Bearded Dragons

Discuss breeding topics here.

Baby Bearded Dragons

Postby kennethcarlson » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:56 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I have fifteen newborn baby bearded dragons. We are feeding them well but they keep on biting each others tails. I can't get them to stop. What should I do?
kennethcarlson
Newbie Poster

Re: Baby Bearded Dragons

Postby gogga » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Its not a good idea ti have more than 5 per viv. I would suggest split them up, or if the viv is big enough divide it
gogga
Juvie Poster

Postby ziggy23 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:27 am

I've read you should separate the aggressor and the victim from the others as well.
ziggy23
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Breeding

We miss you, Crocodile Hunter!

http://www.thepats.info/
Drache613

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello,

You will need to separate them into at least groups of 3 or 5 right now. Also, if you are not keeping them fed enough, they are going to nip & bite each other constantly.
Keeping greens & veggies in for them all day will help, but, you will need to maintain a good eye on the ones that are more aggressive so you can separate those from the others.

Tracie

We miss you, Crocodile Hunter!

http://www.thepats.info/
Drache613

Postby kennethcarlson » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Thank you guys so much. I will do these things. :D :
kennethcarlson
Newbie Poster

Postby kennethcarlson » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:09 pm

Now the nipping is under control, but I think the babies whose tails where nipped are getting tail rot. The tips of the tails are turning black and it doesn't look good. What is the best way to solve this? :(
kennethcarlson
Newbie Poster

Postby gogga » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not sure what meds you get there. Can you call your local herp vet and ask for an ointment to put on their tails?
OR
I have read in many posts that Tracie (Drache613) is a boffin on meds. Maybe try PM'ing her or email.
gogga
Juvie Poster

Postby AprilMayJune » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:01 am

Try bathing the babies in a betadine solution to help with the healing. Make sure it resembles a weak tea solution. Also, if your babies tend to drink while in the bath it is suggested to add the betadine AFTER they drink so they don't injest it.

I would also dab a little bit of polysporin on the tail nips in the meantime until you can consult your herp vet.
AprilMayJune
Hatchling Poster

Postby spyder79 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:41 pm

if you do not know what you are doing you need to take them to a vet to be looked at. If the tails turn necrotic you will have to have the dead tail snipped off plus a little bit above the affected area to stop the infection. Then a antibiotic ointment and betadine baths will help it heal. But if the tail is necrotic and is left unchecked the infection will hit the blood stream and the animal will die.
Brian, http://www.crypticdragons.com
Check the Board Of Inquiry on http://www.faunaclassifieds.com before making any purchase from online breeders.
WARNING: MY POSTS ARE KNOWN TO OFFEND MANY IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED REFRAIN FROM READING
spyder79
Extreme Poster

Return to Breeding