Thinking of breeding??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
And I'm sure they don't have your standards, so that makes for bad husbandry & possibly less healthy baby dragons. As I've rescued two babies that weren't well taken care of from pet stores, I've seen the end result. Makes me sad, but I can't rescue any more. I'm just glad I did rescue Rubio & Issy, even though Issy's passed away from a virus, Rubio is in good health & HUGE! Here's the result of good husbandry like yours!
002.jpg

He's playing with his imaginary friend :D You can see the damage on his right paws, but he uses them well.
Deb

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
This year I'm shocked at the drop in value of these awesome creatures. :(
Not like caring for them properly or their supplies have gotten any cheaper!

Definitely sad and disgustingly scary all the people that are breeding them in our area this year (Thank God most my sells is online) that have no idea of what all is involved...all they know is they can sell there babies to the pet store for $12.50 each. ARG!!! :banghead: Sadly these people bought from the pet stores originally and most were taught all the wrong husbandry practices, even sadder most do not feel that they need to take their animals to the vet....just go to the pet store and buy another adult I know nothing about if this one dies....it discusses me! :evil: They do not even feed or supplement them properly. :(
Yay! That's who I want to buy from someone who's beardies are under nourished, housed together on crushed walnut, and riddled with parasites. SARCASM!!! :evil:
:cry: Makes me sad to think of all the people that will purchase one of these less than thriving babies and have the sad experience of loosing prematurely due to these uneducated breeders. Guess they didn't think of or are not concerned with the heartaches they are about to bring to many families. :cry: [ Sorry for the little rant! :lol: ]

I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was a bit concerned about baby sells this year.
(sittin' on the edge of my seat(tight cheeked), biting my nails, hoping I didn't make the wrong choice to breed again this year...)But I have to remember I have a good reputation and very good friends in the business...I have faith these things will get me through. :wink:

One of the things I have always worried about when selling babies is cutting the throats of my fellow breeders. There's a lot of cut throating going on here in my area. I refuse to lower my standards, or cut my own throat, let alone cut the throats of my friends, and worse of all lower the value of the bearded dragon...if things do not go well this year...I don't see myself continuing in the breeding of these amazing creatures which is sad because I really, really, really enjoy breeding and raising healthy beardie babies.

So Tom, you are thinking about breeding Skinks? Any particular type you have in mind?
I have been trying to think of a secondary reptile too...I'd almost like to give Uro's a try though not sure if they would sell any better, but I'd still like to own a pair, an I have always been interested in tortoises and turtles. :roll:

But.... I LOVE DRAGONS!!!!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
If your thinking uros Barb, stick to the ornates (sp) or the phiblyi (sp) they are more rare, harder to get and are retaining value.
Im thinking 3 species of skink. Blue tongues, pink tongues, and croc skinks. (just cause I like em)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I am attracted to the Arabian Uromastyx (Philbyi), Ornate Uromastyx (Ornata), Somali Uromastyx (Mcfadyeni), and the Sudanese Uromastyx (Ocellata). Must be the blue... :lol:

The Blue Skink is highly desired in my area...not many breeders of them here. I have to admit they are very awesome. :)

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
I read through this whole thread and saw, "Please just ask us breeders!" over and over - so I'm asking... what do you all recommend for someone like me who may end up with a fertile egg laying not by choice? I have two rescue females who I know were housed with a male before, and I read that females can store sperm for up to 5 years! True??? If my girls lay fertile eggs, what is the responsible thing to do? Take the eggs to an experienced breeder...?

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
TheWolfmanTom":wavh47i3 said:
Rather than repeat alot of info there is a sticky about what to do about eggs.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=166108

Females can retain sperm for up to 1 year, but to be honest a few months is the longest any of my breeders ever retained.

Thanks for the info - I have seen that thread and it's very helpful. I was more wondering what breeders' thoughts were from an ethical standpoint on what to do if my girls lay fertile eggs (which I have no desire to hatch, keep, or sell). Should I just toss them like I would infertile eggs? Or would the right thing to do be getting the eggs to someone who can hatch them and care for them? I guess I'm having a hard time figuring out how I feel about it on a personal level. What do you guys think?

P.S. Good to know it's unlikely to happen to me anyway, but still curious! :)

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
If you have a breeder nearby that would incubate them its not the 1st time that has happened and wont be the last.
You could also freeze the eggs to ensure they where destroyed in a simple way.
These are the 2 options open to you if you dont have the space to care for babies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
TheWolfmanTom":1c14pyoy said:
If you have a breeder nearby that would incubate them its not the 1st time that has happened and wont be the last.
You could also freeze the eggs to ensure they where destroyed in a simple way.
These are the 2 options open to you if you dont have the space to care for babies.

Gotchya, I just didn't know if it was generally looked down upon to throw out fertile eggs. Good to know, thank you!

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
I think more people should be aware that freezing eggs is a very humane and viable alternative to trying to raise babies unprepared. Many people feel that they are somehow hurting the animal but there's nothing but some yolk and bloodvessels early on. Compare that to attempting to raise and feed a clutch of babies without the proper preparation and know how. These babies end up in pet stores for $12.50 because the owner didn't know what to do with them... or they end up underfed with nips and worse. I think freezing eggs is absolutely humane. And also important to note that momma needs a lot of extra care and supplementation during this time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom