Bearded Dragon is laying eggs (first hatchlings 10/20/09 pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoetter

I wasn't expecting the eggs until at least the beginning of next week, I have my beardie in a cage with about 6 inches of sand(not her laying box) and she just started laying eggs. I was planning on setting up a laying box for her tomorrow and setting up the incubator as soon I got it.

The problem is that my incubator, hatchrite and tupperware containers for the eggs are scheduled for delivery tomorrow (max 12-13 hours from now).

What should I do, she has laid well over 10 so far and only one is discolored the rest look very healthy, and I don't want to lose these eggs. How can I hold them over for 12-13 hours?

*****Updated pics on last page*****

mgoetter

Original Poster
here are pictures i just took to show the situation im in :oops:

l_95683073992d4910b4eb5e9cf30510dd.jpg

l_e5f9692b54cf4924a6d337ee9937a80a.jpg

mgoetter

Original Poster
i've been asking around other sites and some one suggested to keep them warm(i am going to set the heat lamp to around 85 for tonight if i can) and misting them to keep them moist until i can get the incubator set up.

any one with experience please chime in.. I will be up all night checking on them

mgoetter

Original Poster
shes done laying the eggs, i can count 26 but some of them are buried.. this is her first time laying eggs so i was expecting most to be infertile, there is a lot of yellow in some of the eggs but about 10 look really healthy and pure white

here is a pic of the eggs

l_4e0d1a630ee84ff3851af12724a3810f.jpg

trying to drop the temp around 85 until i can get my incubator set up tomorrow i hope some survive i was really looking forwards to seeing some little baby beardies

mgoetter

Original Poster
there were 28 eggs all together, i am going to attempt to incubate 13 of them about 5 of them have a nice white color the rest are iffy some have a little red in them and some are a little yellow

10 of them were really bad and clearly infertile.. the cage is sitting around 85 and that should hopefully hold them over until tomorrow when i can get them in the incubator

off to bed now that things calmed down a bit

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
The eggs in the picture look good to Me. You dont know if an egg is clearly infertile till you have given it a few days to develop. DO NOT mist the eggs. The embryo breaths thru the egg and a wet egg will smother it. When you remove the egg from the sand dont turn it or mess with it much. Set it in the damp, but not wet hatchrite or vermeculite. put a lid on the deli cup and keep your temps around 83 to 85 degrees. it takes about 60 days to hatch.

mgoetter

Original Poster
just an update, i sprayed the eggs lightly a couple times last night and have been spraying the sand to try to keep it some what moist but the eggs are really sinking in, they look like theyre drying out :cry: .. I should be getting my package within the next hour or two.. i'm hoping i can save them because right now they are in pretty bad shape

can i lightly spray them or should i just wait until the hatchrite comes?

mgoetter

Original Poster
i have them in the tupperware with hatchrite(added a little water and mixed it in) and im just going to keep them in the cage for now, its set at 85, once i get the incubators temp/humidity set right i will swap them over.

i've never hatched bearded dragon eggs but looking at the ones i have they really look in bad shape, they sunk down a lot over night and i think from not having the right humidity.. really frustrating i missed her eggs by a day :cry: if i would have had everything yesterday i would have been set

but i'm still going to give the ones i saved a try maybe they will come back, any tips to for bringing them back to a nice round/healthy state?

im uploading pics.. i'm pretty sure i lost all of her eggs(they're pretty bad as you will see) but i am still going to incubate them so i can at least say i tried

edit: these are the best out of all the eggs.. you guys think they're a lost cause?

l_0b1dac317fc24ad8a78ea6cb82143de0.jpg

seymours

Hatchling Member
They look like that because the humidity is too low. keep the sand around them really moist till your incubator comes

mgoetter

Original Poster
I have all the eggs in the incubator.. They've been sitting at between 80 to 85 humidity and about 83 degrees I think I have the incubator set up pretty good.. Now I just have to wait and hope they recover

mgoetter

Original Poster
last update until i see any progression/regression with the eggs.. incubator is at 82% humidity and temp is about 83 degrees and holding steady, its a shame they didnt get laid today i would have had everything ready to go

l_5873c1b941c148edb7bd44c9073a95bf.jpg

l_b106ea01a25241d4bb1cdcb96a2314a0.jpg

Atrain87

Are you reading the temo in the incubator with those dial themometers, if so your tamos could be off by alot. You need to get a themometer with a probe on the end or even better a temp gun if you have the money. You can get a Accurite from walmart for 12$. It also has a Hydrometer built in.

mgoetter

Original Poster
Atrain87":1e1d3 said:
Are you reading the temo in the incubator with those dial themometers, if so your tamos could be off by alot. You need to get a themometer with a probe on the end or even better a temp gun if you have the money. You can get a Accurite from walmart for 12$. It also has a Hydrometer built in.

yes, the one reads about 82-84 the other reads about 86-88 i think the one thats reading 82-84 is more accurate, ive been having problems with the gold one, i'll goto walmart and look for the accurite, should i just check the temp of the incubator or should i put the probe into the tupperware to check the temps/humidity in there?

Atrain87

I've never really used an incubator so I dont know he answer to that question. Any one with a little more expierence in that area please help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom