Names of Morphs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maize

Hatchling Member
I would like to start looking into breading. But I am really confused about some of these names for morphed dragons. For example, HET, Sandfire, Tiger, Translucent, Hypo, etc... What happens when you breed two hypo yellow dragons together, will they only birth Hypo Yellow or will other colors come out. I'm not sure if other people inquire about this. But these names that I am hearing and the olors that I dont even see on these dragons other then on some of the parents. Is there a site that explains all the ins\outs of the colors, how you match colors, do they not always produce the same colors. Basically "What makes them what?" and "Why". I hope I'm making sense, cuz I'm confusing the heck out myself. I would love to read up on it if anyone knows.

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Good stuff Dawn. Anyone else have any good sources for information on the genetic backgrounds of the dragons currently in the US? Any of you breeders been importing anything out of Europe recently?

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Great sites! Im also interested in how some breeders add "Tiger" "sandfire" etc.... to the names. I understand Hypo, Het, etc. but how do they come up with the names after that? Just by looking at the colors? Arent all new born babies out of a clutch dif colors? For example, male and female are both Yellow Hypo's and they mate, from my understanding not all babies will be yellow. Does that make sense?! LOL

ddma

Juvie Member
what they look like as hatchlings , won't be what they look like as adults, they color up as they get older. like tiger babies look ugly when they are babies, no color at all then as they get older and with each shed they get magnificent color. it's unbelievable go to http://www.draggintailsinc.com and go to where it says "tiger" care sheet. check out the difference in the babies and the older ones. they sho pics of the tigers at different ages.

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ddma":d1322 said:
what they look like as hatchlings , won't be what they look like as adults, they color up as they get older. like tiger babies look ugly when they are babies, no color at all then as they get older and with each shed they get magnificent color. it's unbelievable go to http://www.draggintailsinc.com and go to where it says "tiger" care sheet. check out the difference in the babies and the older ones. they sho pics of the tigers at different ages.

But why are they called Tigers? Is it a different breed?

ddma

Juvie Member
i believe just a different morph. maybe the way thier pattern is, they call it a tiger. i think they're given names by the breeders or the first person who is successful in breeding a morph picks a name .i really don't know. sometimes a beardie is called a certain color morph and you don't see the colors, but they came from parents that have those colors. so that's when (i believe they call them het"s) het meaning they carry the gene for those colors and you'll see them in thier babies. so unless you know the true lineage of the parents you don't really know if bthe dragon is truly the color morph they say they are. if anyone out there is reading this and i'm wrong ,please let me know. i have 3 bearded dragons, 1- 4 month old crimson red male he's beautiful, and his parents both are crimson reds. then i have a 4 month old citrus female and her parents are a super citrus and leucistic citrus so i knoww she is. and my 3rd one is a 9 week old female 100% leucistic and both her parents are 100 % marketed leucistic.

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Your beardies sound awesome! My 3 month old female's parents are 100% Hypo Yellow, that's what I was told. Her color is nowhere close to looking Yellow. Her head is light green and body is a bit darker. She is shedding fast so maybe she will be bright yellow like the parents. My 2 1/2 month old male, I had him for a week now, he is eating really slow and lathargic. I'm taking them both to the vet to be checked anyways. But I was told by the breader that he is Het Hypo. They never gave my a color and havent seen pics of the parents. I have tried getting in touch with both breeders abd some Q's I have but they wont return calls or emails. Enouph of my venting! The male has a nice peach color with awesome lavender bars. I just wish he would eat more.

ddma

Juvie Member
maybe the newer one is stressed. well, maybe it's a good thing they're going to the vet. i just posted pics of all my babies. go to photo expressions and look for heading "crimson red and citrus pics" and look for another heading "leucistic bearded dragon pics." my leucistic is much whiter in person and will only get whiter with age, my cirus is in shed after shed she becomes bright yellow and my crimson red just shed about 3 days ago and he gets brighter and brighter with each shed !! good luck with your trip to the vet.

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
http://www.reptilerooms.com/forums/inde ... opic=26667

Dawn,

You should check this post out, it's really informative!

I have been trying to get in touch with the breeders that I got my female and Male from, and they wont return calls or emails. I love it when they say call us anytime. I'm not calling to complain, I just want to get info on my dragons! Before I get another dragon, cause now I'm addicted, I'm coming here to research who are good breeders.

Maize

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
vickson420

Thanks for those links! Do you know if their are any books that are available?

ddma

Juvie Member
oh an addiction it is, like tatoos. i don't know if you want to divulge the info or not but what breeder did you get yours from? i got my crimson red from rainow bearded dragons, so happy with my dragon, got my citrus from fire an ice, and got my leucistic from georgia bearded dragons, jeff at jdm dragons , he's so nice and has nice dragons, the only reason i didn't get a beardie from him was because i was looking for a leucistic at the time and he didn't have any. thanks for the site !!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Maize":b76ad said:
vickson420

Thanks for those links! Do you know if their are any books that are available?
Your welcome.As for books there isnt anything specific on genetics although there are a few beardie books out there but unfortunately I have found most are very out of date.Its easier just to research online there are alot of wonderful articles with more point specific data on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom