Is my dragon ready to breed?

Discuss breeding topics here.

Is my dragon ready to breed?

Postby beardybaby » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:47 am

Hi all,

I have one dragon who is less than a year old (11 months), but she is bigger than all of my other dragons. She is over 500 grams and has been for over a month now.

She seems ready to breed, and I really would like to breed her, but I don't want to jump in too soon. As I haven't been in a situation like this before with a dragon so large/mature so quickly, I thought I'd ask the experts...

She seems ready, and I was planning to maybe breed her when she is 12/13 months old, but I just wanted to make sure there are no unforseen consequences of doing so as I don't want to cause her any harm. She's an awesome dragon - I love her - and so it wouldn't be worth it.
beardybaby
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Is my dragon ready to breed?

Postby AHBD » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:12 pm

I would wait another 4-5 months, although some young dragons are already laying infertile eggs by 12 months. You'll hear people say that you need to wait until they are 2 years old but that's not so, but you should wait until closet to a year + a half.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby HerpGirl » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:40 pm

I agree with AHBD.
HerpGirl
Hatchling Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 pm

More to the point , are YOU READY to care for 30 or more very hungry hatchlings (could be just one clutch of eggs from 2 or 3 clutches for the season) for up to 8 weeks ?

Providing live insects 3 times per day, housing to ensure they are not overcrowded , heat , UV FOR ALL.

And have you had the male and female tested for ADV ?
if ADV positive ==> YOU SHOULD NEVER BREED THEM.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby HerpGirl » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:40 am

kingofnobbys wrote:More to the point , are YOU READY to care for 30 or more very hungry hatchlings (could be just one clutch of eggs from 2 or 3 clutches for the season) for up to 8 weeks ?

Providing live insects 3 times per day, housing to ensure they are not overcrowded , heat , UV FOR ALL.

And have you had the male and female tested for ADV ?
if ADV positive ==> YOU SHOULD NEVER BREED THEM.

True. Do you own leopard geckos (male,female)? If so, try breeding them first, their easier and you don't get 30+ all at once.
HerpGirl
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Breeding