Egg Incubator Advice or Help Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivi_ends013

Beardie name(s)
King Julien
So I am a bit new to this whole breeding thing. I have already had my two beardies mate, and now there is a good chance that my female is carrying. I need to prepare for eggs just in case and can't find out exactly what materials I need. I have recently read some articles where Vermitile substrate, I think that is what it is called but I am not sure, was used to lay the eggs on. But I am not sure exactly what incubator I need or where to find it. I need a relatively small one for just a single clutch. I was looking them up and also wondered if some do not require substrate? I politely request that you instruct me on what I need amd how to assemble it for a single clutch of beardy eggs. Also I need to try to keep a pretty low budget.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I build incubators all the time, I have made about 10 in the last year. I build them for free for people other than the expense for supplies.
Some of my reptile eggs (not bearded dragons) incubate for 6-8 months and my incubators work flawlessly. I have been building them the exact same way for 30 years because they work so well.
I'll try to post some pictures of my incubators tonight. Right now I have 4 of them...
As for the vermiculite I mix it at a 2:1 ratio by weight, 2 parts vermiculite to 1 part water. I have used pearlite before also...but I like vermiculite better.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Please know an incubator doesn't need to be as nice as mine. I have even made them out of camping coolers.
My big refrigerator incubator, heated with two 75 watt ceramic heaters, has a fan for circulation. Thermostat is a Herpstat 1, it turns on the heat and fan. The extra ceramic heaters in there were replaced by the black stubby ones. The white ones are not hooked up.....[ximg]85426 8965108781[/ximg][ximg]85426 1193924137[/ximg][ximg]85426 560382493[/ximg][ximg]85426 1582480362[/ximg]
My Gila "Monster" energy drink incubator. Right now it's being used as a nursery for the baby beaded lizards. Temp controlled by a cheap thermostat...I'm going to buy another Herpstat 1. I have the lights on remote control, so that's the stuff next to the thermostat. I cant take a picture of the two 75 watt heat emitters because they are hidden by the sheet metal the fan is on. The heat and fan are turned on by the thermostat.
[ximg]85426 8556923475[/ximg][ximg]85426 8024804322[/ximg][ximg]85426 2815775792[/ximg]
Hope this helps...if you have any questions I'll do my best to help you get things squared away. Or if your near Oregon I'll build you one.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
My Colman cooler roach bins could also be used as an incubator. But you would have to build it wisely. Heat and plastic dont mix very well.
[ximg]85426 6064186790[/ximg][ximg]85426 8025580584[/ximg]

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Forgot I took pictures of this incubator I made for someone. The fan is lit up because the light sockets are behind it and I used lightbulbs for heat. She didn't buy the ceramic heaters for it. Light bulbs work though...[ximg]85426 2407940123[/ximg][ximg]85426 4691898017[/ximg][ximg]85426 7755918558[/ximg]
Hmm...maybe I got more pictures ;)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Low budget incubator (it's my dubia bin)...
Just don't put vents in the lid. It's two bins with insulation between them. Heated with a 50watt ceramic heat emitter. Thermostat and dimmer switch used to control heat. Again, it's plastic and heat...so build and use wisely. I bought heat shielding to put on the bottom and top of the lid....just havent done it yet. Might cut a section out of the lid and bolt some sheet metal where the light socket is.
A cheap $17 thermostat from Amazon, a $15 dimmer switch, approx $20 for bins, $10 light socket, ceramic heater $10...insulation was free from a frozen rat order.
About a $70 incubator.
[ximg]85426 9148220317[/ximg][ximg]85426 7300542081[/ximg]

Cls24

Our dragon just had 17 eggs they all look fertil I think. We got a incubator and wanted to know if we can put them directly on the plastic grid or do we need to put them in a container with sand and put that on the plastic grill. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom