New Babies! When to sell and/or ship??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novia

So we have one clutch that started with 30 eggs - now down to 27 that all hatched around august 3-5. We are probably going to end up selling most of them but I'm just curious how soon should we sell them? Is there a certain size? weight? number of weeks etc. All 27 seem very healthy, active and are all eating small dusted crickets and dubia roaches. We are very experienced in juvenile/adult beardies but this is out first time breeding so I just don't know how long to keep them as to not stress them out too much when they move. I've heart 8-12 weeks? Any suggestions would be great.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, 6" is generally an acceptable size, they've grown about 2" by then and are generally robust + energetic by then.

I do not know much about breeding or selling but I recommend to start selling once 3 months old. (You should probaly talk to someone more advanced though, lol)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Waiting for 3 months would be veeeeery expensive, they'd be [ average ] around 10-12" by then and would eat you out of house + home. :) Not to mention they would need to be set up in lots+ lots of enclosures. The 6" mark is when I've always sold mine in the past, they're usually about 4-6 weeks old and are hardy enough to go to a new home.

Novia

Original Poster
You guys are awesome. It's great to hear about a 6' rule.

Another question I just thought of though. How about for shipping? They probably have to be bigger and hardier for that right? Any recommendations on that?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Not at all, they are shipped all over the country at that size. Shipping is done over night via next day air so if you ship them out late afternoon the babies are at their new homes by 10 a.m in most areas so they spend about 16 hrs. in the box. If you want to wait until they're bigger of course , it's up to you. Maybe 8".

AHBD":129e3e5u said:
Waiting for 3 months would be veeeeery expensive, they'd be [ average ] around 10-12" by then and would eat you out of house + home. :) Not to mention they would need to be set up in lots+ lots of enclosures. The 6" mark is when I've always sold mine in the past, they're usually about 4-6 weeks old and are hardy enough to go to a new home.

Lol, I did not think of the cost or housing, Thank You!

AHBD":1mu12kvo said:

Lol, I did not think about cost or housing, Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom