She pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindside

I bought this dragon of kijiji around 3 weeks ago. At first i thought she was just really fat. Now after reading im starting to think my dragon is carrying eggs. I have felt around on her belly i dont feel any eggs in there. Im gonna post a few pic tell me what you guys think. If you would like another pic of a different angle let me know
80707-5229736669.jpg
80707-9186665951.jpg
80707-6600036952.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I think I remember this from another thread in the general forum ? :) It's possible that she's carrying eggs....time will tell. Watch for restlessness + constant digging around. Most beardies that are near laying will stop eating a few days before laying as well. If she isn't gravid, then she is obese. Once in a while severe bloating is related to a health problem, so just watch how she does in the next couple of weeks. If she is just overweight, offer her fewer live feeders than a normal adult dragon would eat and concentrate on feeding good greens but not fruit. If you want to read more about egg laying, there's a thread at the top of this page.

blindside

Original Poster
Ok what do you think I should do keep feeding her all she wants incase shes carrying eggs or should I cut back on the food especially live feeders on the assumption that she is obese? Lately she has been eating a decent amount of collard greens/squash but only when I dangle the pieces infront of her. I really wish I had this girl from a young age that way I could know more about her history and know if she is carrying or not. All the guy told me was its his ex girlfriends dragon and she only fed it superworms and romain lettuce(which he said it didnt eat much). and that she abandoned it at his house and he couldnt take care of both dragons. How long does it normally take for them to lay there eggs once there carrying? I think im just gonna keep feeding it whatever it wants for a couple weeks and hopefully she lays some eggs.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Since you've had her for 3 weeks, if she actually had mated then she could be ready to lay any day. She would be fine with a majority of her diet being veggies , with bugs a couple times a week. Supplement with calcium powder every other day. Just watch for the signs that I mentioned to tell when she's ready...if she is gravid...to lay.

Justinsin

Just feed her normal sum dragon can produce a batch of infertile eggs from even seeing there reflection in a mirror male Or no male around if she has eggs she needs sum place to feel comfterble enuf to lay them.
You can usually tell by holding the dragon in your hand on the front of your palm point your. Arm in the air not no far of a angle but enuf so the dragon kind of has to cling on to your hand and with your other hand gently rub the belly down ward with 1 finger like your pointing press lightly and if there is eggs you will feel the lumps it is distinct you will know for sure if you can't feel much then there is a good chanc eshes just a very healthy dragon i got one that is 85 grams shy of a kg its OK for them to be fat :) as long as it does not hinder there movment or ability to catch food

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes Justin, they can produce infertiles, but you can't always feel these either, but it doesn't hurt to try :) I've had plenty of females that have laid both fertile and infertile. He was specifically asking if she has mated when the eggs could possibly be laid so I was giving him a possible time frames. As far as fat , fat is never ever healthy in humans or animals. As a matter of fact, the liver, kidneys and all major organs are negatively impacted by obesity. Eventually there are joint problems and breathing problems , general stamina problems and obese dragons seem more often to have problems with egg binding because of the fat all around the developing eggs. So there is no comparison of a lean healthy dragon with an overweight....just like in humans , as much as some people may want to believe that. Unless a dragon is nearly 2 feet long, 850 grams would be obese .

blindside

Original Poster
Ok this dragon hasn't eaten in 3 days now and started dropping small tinny white poo's i think its called urates all over her basking platform and just today has been roaming all over the tank trying to get out. I put her in a big storage bin with packed down play sand a heat light and started a tunnel for her. how long should I leave her in there? She's just laying in there and every now and then scraping at the side trying to get out looks like. Should I leave her in there like all day or just a few hrs or what? by the way I wrapped a towel around the sides and top to give her some privacy with just a spot where i can peek in from the top. any help is appreciated. I read somewhere to mix potting soil and vermiculite with the play sand. I only have potting soil should I bother mixxing that in?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well it sounds as if she's definitely ready to lay. You can add soil to the sand if you want....it would stick together better and make a better laying substrate. You can take her out every 3-4 hours if she's not digging, but after tomorrow just leave her in there most of the day. By then she should be ready.

blindside

Original Poster
hmm im working tomorrow at 4am till 2pm i guess il put her in when I get home. Think il leave her in there till 7-8 as thats when her lights go out in her terrarium usually. I had her in the box today for 2 hrs 2 different times she didnt even dig at all, just scratched at the side of the box. Hopefully she lays tomorrow. Im kinda getting scared she may be egg bound because I have no idea how long shes been this big and plump or if shes even been with another dragon. 1 more question how warm should her lay box be 85 degrees sound good?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, 85 degrees is fine, or slightly warmer but not much. Her behavior sounds normal and she should be laying any day. Generally they look + act sick if they become eggbound.

blindside

Original Poster
well i left her in her lay box yesterday from 3pm till 8pm no digging just wall walking. She woke me up around 11 and was running all over her cage looking for somewhere to lay looked like she ended up on her basking platform and looked like she was about to lay right there but all that came out was a white urate. I decided to put her in her lay box after that and she stayed in there all night and all day while I was at work but still no eggs. I decided to give her a bath after work and some fresh veggies. shes making me paranoid that im doing something wrong. I really hope she lays tonight or tomorrow I hate seeing her glass walk all over her tank, makes me feel like shes uncomfortable.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your'e not doing anything wrong, that is typical behavior. Try piling the sand up on one end + starting a tunnel with your hand. it'll probably be any day now.....please update if she does.!

blindside

Original Poster
just giving an update. She still hasn't layed any eggs but this morning she was scratching at the glass in her tank. I put her in her lay box and left her in there most of the day she didnt dig at all just layed there. I decided to put her back in her tank for the night. I made a little digging/lay box in her 40 gallon. Every time she starts going crazy in her tank and I notice it, I put her in her lay box but every time she gets in there she just sits/lays there or tries to get out she never digs. Should I wait till i see her actually trying to dig in her tank before putting her in the lay box? or put her in the lay box every time I see here pacing around her cage looking for a way out? I have yet to see her dig either in the lay box or in her tank. It just looks like shes scratching on the glass like trying to get out. Today she did have a small poop and even ate 3 small pieces of collard greens. Maybee shes not as far along as i though she is? it seems like she doesnt eat very much though. By the way thanks for all the help AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) I hope I can help....sometimes you just don't know if + exactly when they are going to lay. It may be in the tank or it may be in the laybox. I'd say leave her in her tank half the day and put her in the box the other half, unless you see her digging in the lay area that you made in the tank then let her go at it. I know this is driving you crazy !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom