Big Boy Whiskey

Status
Not open for further replies.
88968-6876073684.jpg

My heart bleeds to everyone who has lost a pet. It's no different from losing a family member. They live in us and will forever be a part of us. We love them unconditionally just as they love us. They are loyal companions and just a joy to have.

I am going to try to keep this brief because I don't want to ball my eyes out again. Our bearded dragon Whiskey passed away 45 minutes after having been taken to the vet on October 22,2016. He has generally been very healthy the last 2 years and 6 months we had him, until last Saturday when he began to lose his appetite and started to gape more than usual. At times he looked as if he had difficulty breathing. As concerned parents, we took him to vet no 1 on Tuesday, Oct 18, and was only given a de-wormer as he looked pretty healthy all around. However, I knew something is wrong with him, I knew my boy,- we knew our boy. Three days after his first visit to the vet, we decided to take him to another vet. This time one who specializes in reptiles. At the animal hospital they took X-rays of him, blood works, and the whole nine yards. They gave him shots of antibiotic and electrolytes as he was already dehydrated. Although we fed him baby food and water using a syringe, that didn’t help with keeping him nourished. X-ray results indicated an enlarged lung with some kind of matter (fluid or tissue) around his heart and part of his lungs. I don't remember much what the vet was saying as I already started to cry. Although my husband was still recuperating from a recent spinal surgery, he remained strong for me. He listened and followed through the vets instructions and possibilities with Whiskey’s current condition. The conversation ended with us telling the vet to do whatever she could to make our big boy well again. The vet assured us that she will give us a call as soon as blood results came in on Monday –October 24. While waiting on the results, Whiskey was prescribed pain killers, anti-biotics, and liquid food.

Home. Just around 1:15 pm - October 22nd, 45 minutes after our trip to the vet, Whiskey started to gulp and when we got to him, started throwing up fluid with a mix of blood. It was horrible. It broke my heart. He struggled to breathe. I remember my husband and I screaming and crying. I was holding on to our boy making sure his head is held down to let go of the fluid that was blocking his airways while my husband was busy trying to call the vet and animal emergency numbers - but was to no avail. After at least 4 regurgitations, there was nothing left for Whiskey to let out. Then he turned limp, with eyes starting to bulge. Seeing this, my husband and I alternately gave him mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, and at the same time pleading for him to hang in there. We were hoping for hours that he would regain consciousness. Several hours went by and nothing, no sign of life. At that point Whiskey was still very warm, so I held him close to me. I held him tight, like a mother holding on to his son, telling him how much he is loved…I cannot I believe he is gone. Our boy is gone. No more goofy games with Whiskey, no more night nights, no more lizard kisses, no more tucking him in every night. We are extremely devastated. Nothing at that moment can console our sadness. We are in grief. Whiskey was almost 3 years old. He was a happy beardie but most of all he had brought so much happiness in our lives. We loved him so much and I know he loved us.
I miss him so much, it hurts. Rest in peace Whiskey boy, until we meet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom