A Long Due Memorial for Alina (2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
February, 2014. My mother took my siblings and me to a pet store she used to work at years ago. Since 2012 I had been interested in a scaly pet, however never bothered to do intensive research. My brother and I got lizards on the spot (my brother got an anole, I got a bearded dragon), a poor decision. They were doomed from the start. (EDIT: I was 13 years old. Obviously now I would do my research, and I've been doing so. It's also why I joined this forum, so that I can get the best advice firsthand.)

I named my beardie Alina, she was very tiny when I got her. Alina's body was barely bigger than my thumb! She was also missing a toe, and maybe even a few nails.

full

June 29th, 2014, she appeared to be dead, but luckily was only sleeping.

full

She lived until August 20th, 2014.

full

Note: This was not her substrate. This is the box she was buried in. If anyone wants me to take this image down, I will do so immediately. Also, that pose bothers me...it looks very uncomfortable.

I won't go into too much detail, but here are all of the mistakes I can remember. Please, never make the mistakes I did!

Tank: 10 Gallons (Not nearly enough, even for a baby!)
Greens: Kale, lettuce (Don't feed them lettuce. Also, Alina never ate her greens.)
Insects: Mealworms (DO NOT FEED THEM MEALWORMS. Alina got impaction, and paralysis in her back legs.), sometimes pinheads
Meals: 2 a day, consisted of 5 mealworms/pinheads each (NOT NEARLY ENOUGH! I don't know how she lived so long, but I don't suggest trying this!) (EDIT: The reason she was fed so little was because my mom and I thought it could only eat 5, as a baby beardie is tiny.)
Basking spot: Driftwood (Not a bad choice, but doesn't hold much heat. She also didn't have a cool side.)

Again, DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKES I DID!

(In case you're wondering what happened to my brother's anole, it was very stressed all the time. My brother never took care of it and they died quickly. He named her Zelda.)

EDIT (4/18/16)
Due to receiving a PM accusing me of purposely abusing my poor beardie, I would like to clarify: this was almost 3 years ago. I was 13 and didn't do my research (a fatal mistake on my part). I just joined this site 4 days ago, and less than a week ago even knew this site existed.

imported_piskel__43__by_shardlovespotatoes-d9zj2zg.png

screenshot_2016_04_18_at_7_36_36_pm_by_shardlovespotatoes-d9zj32z.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom