R.I.P. Pinky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, as I went in to check on her, I found that Pinky had passed. She was the last of my three bearded dragons, who all lived good long lives. Pinky started to slow down on her eating in recent months. It was difficult to keep her energy up. She started to lose a lot of weight. This was how it was for my other two beardies (Brain and Cailyth [BD.org co-founder]). They lost appetite and weight quickly near the end. With Pinky it took a little longer. A few weeks ago, I even ordered a bunch of Phoenix worms in hopes of improving her appetite (she always loved them). She did eat a good number of them at first, although I did have to put them in front of her. She had lost a lot of her strength. But this last week, she wanted nothing to do with anything.

Earlier this week, I gave her a bath (she loved her baths) which she seemed to enjoy. I helped her pass a poop that needed to go. I then placed her in a warm spot of the enclosure all comfy. She'd started to get to the point that she couldn't really walk much. I came in and fed her a few Phoenix worms if she would eat them. She pretty much didn't move from the spot I put her in all week. Well, today, I found her in that same position, but without any life in her. I was actually just telling someone last night via PM, that Pinky may not last the end of the year. I guess I was right, unfortunately. But I came to recognize the signs of "the ends" after my first two beardies had passed from old age.

It is sad, but Pinky lived nearly 11 years (10 years 8 months, I think). She had a full life. I will tell a little of her tale, here.

pinkymemorial01.jpg

Pinky came with her sister, Brain. They were my 2nd and 3rd beardies, after having had Cailyth for nearly a year. Pinky had a week when she was very young that she didn't eat for some reason. I have always attributed that to being the reason why she's always been about an inch or so smaller than her sister. But Pinky was spunky! She may have been smaller than her sister, but she was always the one in charge and "hanging out on top".

pinkymemorial02.jpg

Pinky and Brain grew up together. I kept them housed together as they never showed any signs of aggression. It was cute how they even slept cuddled together often times. Here we have Pinky and Brain enjoying a warm hand rail that had been sitting in the sun on a warm summer day...

pinkymemorial04.jpg

Pinky didn't have any other health issues through her life. While both Brain and Cailyth had a couple times where they seemed "sick" as indicated by a major loss in appetite and weight (both always nursed back to health until their final days), Pinky was always hungry and full of energy throughout her life.

Pinky also LOVED her baths! Cailyth liked his. Brain was indifferent, but Pinky... she LOVED them. She would get all full of energy and splash around like a little kid. Sometimes I would put a large water dish in the girls' enclosure and it was always pinky would would dive right in, splashing around and making a mess of the enclosure.

pinkymemorial05.jpg

Overall, Pinky was a great bearded dragon. She will most certainly be missed!

pinkymemorial03.jpg

She is the last of my bearded dragons. At this point, I'm uncertain if I will get another any time soon. My life is in a different place than it was 11 years ago. Perhaps again someday. But don't worry. Just because I don't have any bearded dragons of my own, doesn't mean I don't still care about them and ensuring people find good information to take better care of their own! BeardedDragon.org will continue on, and I will still be working to keep things running smoothly and working with the moderators on site issues. One of my hobbies is computers, so I enjoy even that aspect of running the website. In fact, I think I will be planning a server upgrade early next year as we've grown a bit more lately and are "feeling it" with the server.

Anyway... everyone please take a moment to wish Pinky well in Beardie-heaven.

Pinky, you will be missed! Please say hello to Cailyth and Brain for me.

PS- I learned from my early mistakes with substrates... please don't use wood chipping substrate (as seen in the pictures). It's not the safest/best for beardies.

Last edited:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Alex, I'm so very sorry to hear about Pinky. What a pretty beardie. It sure sounds like she was very spoiled and certainly very loved. She had a good long life too as did Brain and Cailyth. Thank you for sharing the tale of her life with us, as painful as it must have been. She was a spunky little thing and that is probably why she lasted that many years as well as you giving her such great care.

I also wanted to mention that I thought it was very touching that you put a picture of Cailyth on all pages of the calendars in dedication of the BD.org co-founder, what a wonderful tribute to him.

Hopefully some day you will get another beardie, we certainly all know what wonderful and amazing creatures they are.

R.I.P. Pinky, you are now with your lifelong friends.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
So sorry to hear about your loss. I know exactly what you mean by noticing the signs when the end is near. That's exactly what happened with my ferrets. By the time my 3rd and final was ready to pass I knew it. I like you was in a different spot and never got another ferret, but I do miss mine tremendously. Pets definitely leave a big mark on our hearts and a big void when they leave us which is always to soon.

Take care of yourself and know that you gave all of your beardies a great life.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Alex, I'm sorry about Pinky. I know how much it hurts, even tho she was over 10 years old. I hope you will consider another beardie in the future. I can't see my life without any "children" - scaley.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Alex,

I am so sorry to hear about Pinky. :cry: She was so beautiful & very very spoiled of course. She had a great & long life.
Maybe one day, you will bring home another one. If you need anything at all, let me know! She is now with her beardie family.
I hope you will be ok. Give yourself some time to reflect on her life, as well as your others, too. I know you must have so many wonderful memories.

Thinking of you.

Tracie

Livey

Extreme Poster
Im so very sorry to here about Pinky!
She lived a happy and long life!
she will be with her beardie friends, Brain and Cailyth
R.I.P Pinky,
you will be missed
x

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Ohh, that's sad :( She really was very beautiful dragon.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Pinky, rest in peace, you little spunky dragon. :cry: :cry:

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Sorry to hear about Pinky. I think that she, together with Cailyth, Brain and yourself, can be extremely proud of what you all have achieved with this site.

May your sorrows pass in time and your memories live long.

Regards
Karin, Angie & Flippie

grendel9

Juvie Member
I am so very sorry to hear of Pinky's passing. She was beautiful. I'm very new to the site, but I've heard (read) many stories of your wonderful beardies. I'll be thinking of you; even when we know we've given our "kids" long and healthy lives, we still mourn. Take care of yourself.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
"Sorry" hardly seem appropriate to express how sad I feel over your loss.
Given her small stature, Pinky sure lived the life as the biggest beardie in the whole wide world.

bar111.gif

Beyond The Rainbow

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,
I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.
I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free
Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, and on the other side
Were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!
And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see
Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!
My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new
And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.

I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright
That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright Glow pierced the night.
'Twas the Glow of many Candles shining bright and strong and bold
And I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold.

For although we may not be together in the way we used to be,
We are still connected by a cord no eye can see.
So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart
If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

- cg - 1995

bar111.gif

Your Pet's In Heaven

To have loved and then said farewell, is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you have stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.

I ask that you not grieve for the loss, but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each others lives.
My life was fuller because you were there, not as a master/owner, but as my FRIEND.

Today I am as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among the flowers and the Sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump, play and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.

We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever.
You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such as you are so rare and unique.
Don't hold the love that you have within yourself. Give it to another like me and then I will live forever.
For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.

Your Pet's In Heaven.

- Ken D. Conover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom