R.I.P. Pinky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, as I went in to check on her, I found that Pinky had passed. She was the last of my three bearded dragons, who all lived good long lives. Pinky started to slow down on her eating in recent months. It was difficult to keep her energy up. She started to lose a lot of weight. This was how it was for my other two beardies (Brain and Cailyth [BD.org co-founder]). They lost appetite and weight quickly near the end. With Pinky it took a little longer. A few weeks ago, I even ordered a bunch of Phoenix worms in hopes of improving her appetite (she always loved them). She did eat a good number of them at first, although I did have to put them in front of her. She had lost a lot of her strength. But this last week, she wanted nothing to do with anything.

Earlier this week, I gave her a bath (she loved her baths) which she seemed to enjoy. I helped her pass a poop that needed to go. I then placed her in a warm spot of the enclosure all comfy. She'd started to get to the point that she couldn't really walk much. I came in and fed her a few Phoenix worms if she would eat them. She pretty much didn't move from the spot I put her in all week. Well, today, I found her in that same position, but without any life in her. I was actually just telling someone last night via PM, that Pinky may not last the end of the year. I guess I was right, unfortunately. But I came to recognize the signs of "the ends" after my first two beardies had passed from old age.

It is sad, but Pinky lived nearly 11 years (10 years 8 months, I think). She had a full life. I will tell a little of her tale, here.

pinkymemorial01.jpg

Pinky came with her sister, Brain. They were my 2nd and 3rd beardies, after having had Cailyth for nearly a year. Pinky had a week when she was very young that she didn't eat for some reason. I have always attributed that to being the reason why she's always been about an inch or so smaller than her sister. But Pinky was spunky! She may have been smaller than her sister, but she was always the one in charge and "hanging out on top".

pinkymemorial02.jpg

Pinky and Brain grew up together. I kept them housed together as they never showed any signs of aggression. It was cute how they even slept cuddled together often times. Here we have Pinky and Brain enjoying a warm hand rail that had been sitting in the sun on a warm summer day...

pinkymemorial04.jpg

Pinky didn't have any other health issues through her life. While both Brain and Cailyth had a couple times where they seemed "sick" as indicated by a major loss in appetite and weight (both always nursed back to health until their final days), Pinky was always hungry and full of energy throughout her life.

Pinky also LOVED her baths! Cailyth liked his. Brain was indifferent, but Pinky... she LOVED them. She would get all full of energy and splash around like a little kid. Sometimes I would put a large water dish in the girls' enclosure and it was always pinky would would dive right in, splashing around and making a mess of the enclosure.

pinkymemorial05.jpg

Overall, Pinky was a great bearded dragon. She will most certainly be missed!

pinkymemorial03.jpg

She is the last of my bearded dragons. At this point, I'm uncertain if I will get another any time soon. My life is in a different place than it was 11 years ago. Perhaps again someday. But don't worry. Just because I don't have any bearded dragons of my own, doesn't mean I don't still care about them and ensuring people find good information to take better care of their own! BeardedDragon.org will continue on, and I will still be working to keep things running smoothly and working with the moderators on site issues. One of my hobbies is computers, so I enjoy even that aspect of running the website. In fact, I think I will be planning a server upgrade early next year as we've grown a bit more lately and are "feeling it" with the server.

Anyway... everyone please take a moment to wish Pinky well in Beardie-heaven.

Pinky, you will be missed! Please say hello to Cailyth and Brain for me.

PS- I learned from my early mistakes with substrates... please don't use wood chipping substrate (as seen in the pictures). It's not the safest/best for beardies.

Last edited:

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Yeah. That's about how it went for my girls. Eye sight seemed to go and after that the desire to eat disappeared. For Pinky, I think she went blind in one eye. If I placed food on her right she would notice it, but not if it was on her left.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yep. Although he would still eat a superworm. He was blind and did not want to move but some how ate his super worm. :) He would lay his head down on me and kinda give this look like dad I think it is my time. :(

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Sorry for your loss and thanks for the pictures she seemed like a wonderful beardie who thoroughly seemed to enjoy being a beardie :)

Keep your head up!

SO SORRY FOR YOU ALEX... I KNOW IT HURTS TO LOOSE A PET. I HAVE NEVER BEEN WITHOUT ONE AND WHEN THEY PASS, IT FEELS LIKE A PART OF YOU IS MISSING....HOWEVER; TAKING THE TIME TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE DONE FOR YOUR PETS, AS WELL AS OTHERS PETS....LETS US KNOW THAT YOU WERE A WONDERFUL OWNER AND TOOK VERY GOOD CARE OF THEM...ALOT OF PETS DON'T END UP AS LUCKY, UNFORTUNATELY....

KEEP UP THE WONDERFUL WORK ON THE WEBSITE....WE ARE ALL VERY GRATEFUL OF THE KNOWLEDGE YOU HAVE SUPPLIED US WITH AND ALLOWED US TO SHARE.

TAMMY

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Twobeardieguy":191my82f said:
Yep. Although he would still eat a superworm. He was blind and did not want to move but some how ate his super worm. :) He would lay his head down on me and kinda give this look like dad I think it is my time. :(
wow that made me sad right there man :( he looked at you like that i know you felt bad

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Alex, so sorry to hear about Pinky, you're right 10 yrs seems to be the average for beardies. Hope you decide to get another beardie, I just can't see my life without one at least. Right now we have 5, Lonzo's our oldest at 7.5 yrs.

RIP Pinky, enjoyed reading about your life with Alex. Issy & Angel, our angels, will be waiting at Rainbow Bridge to welcome you!

Deb

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Thanks everyone. It's very much appreciated.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I somehow missed your post, i know this is late but I'm very sorry you lost your beardies, they aren't pets they are family! I hope that someday another one finds it's way into your life and heart.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Thanks. That was a very long time ago now (13 years ago).

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Lol i saw dec 15 i didn't even notice the year lmao.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
OMG I ran to this and said I wasnt going to cry- I was going to be for you - you're a mod always here for us. I made it through the first paragragh STRONG...11 years- I have no doubt that you provided Pinky an amazing life but I sit here typing this message in tears. Even for you I can't get through it....I promise you that I tried.
I made it up to the part about Brain.... I will come back...if it takes me 100 tries but know that I am here for you.
I am so sorry about your loss and despite knowing the signs, it can't make it any easier. In fact, it makes you braver in my eyes because knowing the signs, I am certain that myself and many others would grow weaker each day.
(I can't even see the keyboard at this point but I am trying)- I thank you for this site and sharing your personal journey with us and may Pinky RIP. I am so sorry about your loss.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Wait- someone made this a new post with their updated comment and has me crying NOW- well it's too late.
Can you disable the comments?! Oh this is too much.... I still want/need to read this. I just can't OMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom