RIP Cailyth ... you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a sad day for BeardedDragon.org. This morning has brought some bad news. Cailyth passed away last night. In the last month or so, his appetite dropped drastically despite his appearance of being alert and generally healthy. After Brain passed earlier this year, I knew Cailyth's time would be coming in the next year or so. I didn't think it would be quite this soon, though.

Cailyth lived a long 10.5 years! He was the inspiration for the start of this website, and has always been the beardie shown at the top of the site. He was my first bearded dragon, and a great little guy to boot.
RIPCailyth_3.jpg

Cailyth helped me provide useful information for other bearded dragon keepers, even if it wasn't the most flattering of things for him...
RIPCailyth_1.jpg

He was playful, but no push over!
RIPCailyth_2.jpg

Cailyth was a great bearded dragon and generally enjoyed life. He especially loved his bath time.
RIPCailyth_4.jpg

Cailyth's efforts to help others understand more about bearded dragons and their proper care went beyond BeardedDragon.org. Cailyth was featured in a children's book about bearded dragons. I think it went to his head a little, but he proudly posed for his photoshoot.
RIPCailyth_5.jpg

RIPCailyth_6.jpg

Cailyth will be missed. He provided me with more than 10 years of joy, and provided many other people, through the inspiration he gave, with this website that eventually grew into the community we all know and love today. Using the Wayback machine, anyone can see what the early version of the website looked like.

I remember the day I went to the reptile shop, knowing little to nothing about bearded dragons, to pick him out with my girl friend. We looked at a few of them, but he was the one most demanding to be taken home... alert, friendly, and cute as heck... pushing the other baby beardies out of the way so he was most prominently displayed against the glass. Over the years, he has had a few little health scares, but I've always been able to nurse him back to good health. At 10 years old, Cailyth has lived a full bearded dragon life.

Thank you, Cailyth for all you've given to me and to everyone. You will truly be missed... but never forgotten.
RIPCailyth_7.jpg

Rest in peace, dear friend.

--------
Edit: I'm adding a very nice tribute for Cailyth put together by Denise Bushnell. Thanks Denise!

IN LOVING MEMORY OF CAILYTH.......

We'll try not to think of your death and weep;
For you're not really gone, though your body sleeps.....
You couldn’t stay for always, that is a truth we know.....
But the years passed by so quickly, and then you had to go;
And your life made ours richer,
and your memory makes us smile;
And soon this terrible pain will pass, if we just wait awhile.
We know our tears are normal; we know we need to grieve;
And your presence is still with us, as long as we believe...

We will not dwell on your death with sadness,
but will think of your life and be filled with gladness.
For you’re now at peace, and there’s no more pain;
You needed to go, to live again;
The good Lord knew you needed rest,
Although you did your very best
To stay by Alex's side, and give him love.....
Now your soul shines down from up above;
Its no longer tied to earthly things,
But can soar in the clouds, on eagles’ wings!

Your soul’s in every wind that blows;
In each new flake of falling snow;
In each shade of blue, in the endless sky;
In the magical flight of a butterfly;
In each of the forest’s muted sounds;
In each autumn leaf as it flutters down;
In each soft star that shines at night;
In the quiet before each morning’s light;
In each drop of dew, as it slowly forms;
In each crack of thunder from a coming storm;
In the majesty of mountains tall;
In the murmur of a waterfall;
In every sunset, no two the same;
In every drop of falling rain;
In waves that break on a distant shore;
In all these things, and many more.

When we see the colors of the morning’s dawn,
We’ll remember you’re not really gone.....
You’ve simply traveled to a better place,
Of endless beauty, time, and space.....
You are part of God’s promise of things to be,
and you’ll live on, in our memories.......
And one day in the future, we’ll meet again,
And until then, you won’t be alone......
You’ll wait with the others, at Rainbow Bridge.....
Until God brings us home.....

- Denise Bushnell -
December 9, 2009l]

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Thank you. It's sad... but he had a good long life and has done a lot of good in this world. :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Alex, so very sorry to hear about Cailyth. He will always be famous, changed MANY beardie lives and will continue to do so. It must have been very hard to find him this morning. We all know he had a great life with you. You have had a hard year with losing 2 of them. :(

All the pictures you posted are very special, love the one of his tongue getting ready to grab the super worm. You captured a lot of his personality with each and every picture which helped us all absorb how special he was.

R.I.P. Cailyth, your life will live on forever.

SlabOMeat

Hatchling Member
Wow! Ten and a half years! He was obviously well cared for. He was a great looking boy, sorry for your loss.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Alex, I am so sorry about Cailyth.
I know it is painful to deal with, but you gave Cailyth a wonderful life, and he in turn helped other beardies have a great beardie life!!

R.I.P. Cailyth
Hugs

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
Without you and him starting this site, many beardies would not be alive or live for as long as they do/did. I appreciate you starting this site IMMENSELY and can't thank you enough for helping thousands of fellow beardie owners. Cailyth seems like he was a terrific beardie, one that all the others look up to :) Sorry for your loss, RIP Cailyth.

mojosmom

I am so sad to hear of your loss.. Just remember that even though Cailyth is not with you physically, his spirit and legacy will live on forever and has touched the lives of so many people and beardies :)

RIP Cailyth

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry Alex. It's never easy to lose a friend, no matter how long their life was. As others have said, Cailyth leaves an amazing legacy of happy, healthy, spoiled and loved dragons who might otherwise not be here. He (and you!) have saved so many lives by giving us this forum. Thank you Cailyth.

Jake583

RIP Cailyth, he inspired me to get a Bearded Dragon. I was thinking about it but the minute I found this site and look at all of the great things about bearded dragons and I knew when I saw pictures of Caliyth, that a Bearded Dragon was right for me, and now look I have a best friend Komez! You will be missed... but never forgotten,Cailyth! :cry:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am so sorry to her of his passing.We all truly owe him so much,because of him we have this wonderful place to learn and share.So many beardie lives have been saved with the aid of this wonderful site that was inspired by him.Again I am so sorry.Thank you Cailyth,you will be greatly missed.RIP

Angiecountrygirl

Juvie Member
Alex,
I'm so sad for you right now. :cry:
Looking at all of your beautiful pictures of Cailyth made me cry, because I've only had my little pooper for about 4 months and I can't imagine what you're going through- my heart is breaking.
I just 3wanted to tell you that my friend told me about your sight in August when I was interested in getting a beardie - and had I not found your sight, I would not have known the first thing about what to do to care for it... So to you and Cailyth, Thank you from the bottom of our hearts! I know that Cailyth had a long beardie life, but it's still never enough time... and we can't help but want more when a loved one passes. Keep those beautiful memories in your heart, and thank you for sharing them with us.
Rest in Peace Cailyth... and thank you for being an inspiration!
We'll see you at the Rainbow Bridge someday! XO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom