tank size for 2 bearded dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about getting my baby boy Zeus a girlfriend he will be 1 in Feb. I currently have a 75 gallon tank, will that be large enough for 2 dragons?

RedInkAus

Hatchling Member
G'day mate,

The best tank size for two bearded dragons is a couple of 75 gallon tanks. Beardies are solitary animals and highly teritorial, they should'nt be housed together. If a female and a male are housed together the male would constantly try and mate with her (think sex slave) causing stress and even serious injuries to her if she is not receptive they can get pretty violent. Beardies don't need other beardies as pals that's what you're there for , but if you want two beardies i would house them seperately.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
temptresslamia":f93e6 said:
I am thinking about getting my baby boy Zeus a girlfriend he will be 1 in Feb. I currently have a 75 gallon tank, will that be large enough for 2 dragons?
As what RedInkAus said, its better to separate them. Based on my experience, I had to separate mine too. Good thing the other didnt get hurt but until now he is still a little stressed out.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
A 75-gallon would be plenty for two beardies.

And before people jump down my throat, I understand that multiple beardies living together can cause problems. However, I also know of many examples of beardies housed together who have no problems whatsoever. I have a brother/sister pair who grew up together (they're from a friend of mine), and they're still together. They get along great. In fact, if one loses sight of the other, they get anxious! And they love cuddling together. (But you can be sure if there are ever any issues, they will be separated.)

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yes there are exceptions but usually only with females and truthfully its not ideal.This beardie is used to being alone and also has just reached sexual maturity.Especially in this case I wouldnt do it and if someone were to try this they would still have to be very prepared with a second enclosure,lighting,uv,etc.Its just not worth the risk.I have a beardie named Apophis who was "succesfully" housed with his clutchmate for 7mos or so before I rescued them and this succesful housing ended with me rescuing him after his tail had been completely severed and he suffered from severe MBD because he was never allowed to bask or get adequate amounts of food.So on this we will have to disagree.Its only successful as long as nothing happens but by the time it becomes unsuccessful its too late.Also the recommended size tank for one adult is 4x2x2 so there is no way 75gallon is going to be enough for 2 and again I would never attempt this with M/M or M/F pair its a recipe for disaster.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
temptresslamia":5cd54 said:

No, that's not large enough for two dragons - that's the minimum size for a single adult dragon.

As mentioned, keeping multiple dragons together isn't ideal since there are a lot of problems that can arise including dominance issues, stress, overbreeding, and physical aggression. Many of the best breeders house their males and females separately, bringing them together only long enough for the act of mating to occur and then sending them back to their own separate enclosures.

Also, you'll want to make sure that any female you get is at least 18 months old and 18 inches or longer to ensure that she is physically done growing and ready for mating and carrying eggs safely. Any younger/smaller and there are more complication possibilities.

temptresslamia

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback, I really do appreciate it as I am somewhat new to the bearded dragon world.

muzikfreakah

Juvie Member
temptresslamia":6d447 said:
Thank you everyone for your valuable feedback, I really do appreciate it as I am somewhat new to the bearded dragon world.

Welcome to beardeddragon.org. If it weren't for the helpful information and people here. my dragon would still be in the same tank and most likely would have lost some limbs already.

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
A 75 gallon fish tank is basically a taller version of a 40 gallon breeder, a 40 breeder is considered minimum for 1 adult dragon.

That's not even taking into consideration the male and female together is bad thing.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Trogdor80":18526 said:
A 75 gallon fish tank is basically a taller version of a 40 gallon breeder

There is a slight but noticeable difference in the dimensions of a 75g and a 40g breeder. A 75g tank is 4 ft long x 18 inches wide, while a 40g breeder is only 3 ft long x 18 inches wide. The extra foot of length makes a 75g a better fit for an adult dragon than a 40g breeder in my opinion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom