Hammock or no hammock??

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Hammock or no hammock??

Postby BeardieGuy24 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:34 pm

I'm finally going to get a beardie :D :D and I'm wondering whether or not I should put a hammock in his/her cage. What are the pros and cons? Is it safe?
BeardieGuy24
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Hammock or no hammock??

Postby Hikari » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Hammocks are fine. It's recommended you get some made out of fabric instead of the mesh as to reduce the risk if their claws getting stuck in it. I bought a mesh hammock before I knew any better, so I just lined it with a fleece cover after the fact, and she's never had any issues with it.

It's also super easy to make a hammock out of fleece. Get some strong enough suction cups with hooks, and some fleece. Cut the fleece to the shape and size you want. Snip some holes in the corners and stick the suction cup hooks through, and hang it up! If you want to reinforce the corners, you can also get things like eyelets or grommets as well (probably unneeded unless you have a hefty dragon). You can also use lighter fabrics like cottons and flannels, but you'll need to hem them as they'll fray otherwise, and the corners will need reinforced or they'll tear eventually. Fleece doesn't fray, and is sturdier, so it's less of a hassle to work with.

They also make hammocks for beardies made of woven seagrass, but they tend to be on the pricier side, and I'm cheap. I've heard decent things about those too though.
Slave to a Beardie, Ball Python, Corn Snake, Leopard Gecko, many fish, and an old, lazy Basset Hound
Hikari
Newbie Poster

Postby claudiusx » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:36 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:33 pm

I have a juvenile in a hammock under a basking and UVB lamp and he loves it!

Personally, I would caution against potentially flammable material, especially if you're going to use it under a really hot basking bulb.
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:02 am

BeardieGuy24 wrote:I'm finally going to get a beardie :D :D and I'm wondering whether or not I should put a hammock in his/her cage. What are the pros and cons? Is it safe?

I found some great ones from BigDaddyDsDragonEmp on Etsy. Lots of choices and good prices!
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:08 am

Selkie1993 wrote:I have a juvenile in a hammock under a basking and UVB lamp and he loves it!

Personally, I would caution against potentially flammable material, especially if you're going to use it under a really hot basking bulb.

The flash points of most textiles are over 400*F. Temps that high would kill the beardie long before any fabric caught fire...
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:09 am

To hammock or not to hammock, That Is the question!!

I shall say... To Hammock!

Lest Not use the mesh counterparts however, Thyne fabric definitely triumphs over mesh.
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, two Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:16 am

HippieLizards wrote:To hammock or not to hammock, That Is the question!!

I shall say... To Hammock!

Lest Not use the mesh counterparts however, Thyne fabric definitely triumphs over mesh.

😄😂
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 am

Lol, glad I could give someone a good chuckle. :mrgreen:
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, two Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures