Lighting schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
So what do you all recommend for lighting hours? I read several places that bearded dragon baby/juveniles shouldn’t brumate their first year. My beardie is about 4 months and currently his light schedule is 14 hours on. So come winter should it keep it this long for their first winter and then adjust next winter to 10 hours on? Or should I have their lights match a moving sunrise/sunset schedule? I have the lights on a smart home power strip, so I can have the lights follow any schedule possible, literally. Ex: turn off 15 minutes before sunrise and turn off 15 minutes after sunset. So on, etc.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Recommended 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off - you can leave them on longer during the summer it is up to you-- like 13 or 14 hrs

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":w6tmx372 said:
Recommended 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off - you can leave them on longer during the summer it is up to you-- like 13 or 14 hrs

Thanks Karrie. You’re always so helpful. Truly is appreciated. Just to confirm, so 12 on 12 off year round? Unless you want to do 13-14 in summer and then 12/12 in winter?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes --- or you can always shut them off earlier in the winter as well --- they tend to go to bed earlier in the winter --- its your call - go by your dragons behavior --

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2nlq8s0r said:
Yes --- or you can always shut them off earlier in the winter as well --- they tend to go to bed earlier in the winter --- its your call - go by your dragons behavior --

Thank you! No matter how much research one does, learning by owning one has proven the most resourceful as far as learning their behaviors.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My timers are set to turn on lights at 6am, and off at 9pm (winter , dark here about 5:30pm to 6pm but I give extra few hrs anyway which works fine ), I'll change to 5am and off 9pm In summer (one extra hour) .

I do this for my bluetongue skinks, eastern water skink and bearded dragons and they seem to like it - is very close to natural photoperiod in their native range (which I happen to live in).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom