Fume hood style ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poseidon27

I’m considering building a DIY fume hood style roof enclosure over my terrarium. I have an Exo Terra enclosure that has a small venting strip under the dual front doors. My vision includes a heat resistant plastic ceiling lined with a heat reflective material that would go over the UVB light strip and basking lamp. On top or behind the plastic ceiling I would attach a small tube attached to a low powered fan that vents out the window attached to an air conditioner style window sealer. The fan would be low powered as to not pull out too much heat. Will there be enough airflow from the front venting strip? Any advice or commentary on this would be appreciated.

My intent is to eliminate any odors in my room by venting them out the window.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That would probably work as long as you kept the airflow to a reasonable level. That said, I think it is probably overkill. Most of the odors come from bacteria buildup due to inadequate cleaning. Using a solid substrate rather than something like sand makes it easier to clean and sanitize the enclosure, which keeps the smell to a minimum. I've had my enclosure in my living room for nearly a decade and the smell is not an issue.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I agree about the smell. My beardie is in my room and I often keep the windows closed to lower humidity (because I have a dehumidifier). My room gets musty when his tank needs a cleaning. If you can smell it, your beardie probably can too! Otherwise I have no smell issue, bearded dragons themselves don't smell bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom