UVB Mounting in a Tall Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyWierdy

Hi!

We are recent parents of a juvenile Beardy...and just a little paranoid that we are set up correctly!

We have a 48x24x24inch tank with an Arcadia 39w Pro T5 UVB kit mounted on the ceiling.

Although powerful, does the T5 have a reach of 24inches to the floor or is it worth mounting the UVB lower on some sort of plinth to maximise the UVB on ground level?

Our dragon has a raised basking spot under the heat lamp, but the UVB does not extend all the way to the basking area....so when he is directly under the UVB lamp, he is generally on the floor.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Beardy-Wierdy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches directly above the decor piece-- he needs a piece of decor put under the UVB ---- w/ distance posted

BeardyWierdy

Original Poster
Ok, thanks for your reply.

There are a couple of things he can climb onto within that range if he wants, but often chooses not to.

So he doesn't need to be constantly in range? I guess he is ok for UVB.

Cheers,

Beardy-Wierdy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They definitely don't need to be in the optimal output range constantly, that's just for basking (they don't always need to bask). Providing a bunch of options is a good idea if you can. Have a platform or branch etc that allows closer access to the UVB, but also have shade areas, and possibly areas that are warm but have little UVB. Creating zones for them to choose from is the best way of going about it, in my opinion. They'll move around and get what they need at a given time, as long as they have good options available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom