What to use instead of molpani wood for basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Hi! So I am new to the bearded dragon world. Did tons of research, yet I am at a loss for my Beardie, Ziggy, pooping all over their two molpani wood basking logs and how to best take care of that. I’ve had Ziggy for a week and they are doing great. They are about 3 months old and eats a ton. And of course poop a lot too. They have stated to poop more over the last few days (going from 1x to 2-3x). I got them to poop in the bath this morning which was great. I turn cleaned the entire habitat using a steam cleaner and spraying everything with F10. How does Ziggy thank me? They poop on both wood logs. I was at dinner and when I got home I picked up what I could. The rest is stuck on there. I will take it out tonight and steam clean to kill everything, scrub and then spray with F10 again.

My question is this, is there something that works best for basking that doesn’t have a porous surface? Are basking rocks a better option? I don’t want to deprive them of something if wood works best.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I use decor from petsmart --- its usually made out of resin and is very easy to clean -- that is why I got it --- lot of people like wood but to me its a pain to keep clean -- fortunately I have dragons that poop on their tile and not on their decor- Hiccup will now and then but its very easy to clean ---

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gx3pjho said:
I use decor from petsmart --- its usually made out of resin and is very easy to clean -- that is why I got it --- lot of people like wood but to me its a pain to keep clean -- fortunately I have dragons that poop on their tile and not on their decor- Hiccup will now and then but its very easy to clean ---

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything from Petsmart you like the best? I’m assuming their hideaways can be used as basking spots and the direct heat isn’t an issue?

If I could get Ziggy to poop on the tile, he could keep the wood. Lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Look for this piece - it is now under Thrive brand but was once under the All Living Things its made out of resin https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116
they dont usually sit on it but use the cave itself - they both have these in the tanks and use them
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-reptile-bogwood-decor-55913.html?cgid=500116 and then I have two other rocks made out of a resin material the one I got from Petsmart as well but they do not sell it anymore Hiccup sits on his all the time or lays against it
97951-9216919131.jpg
Blaze has one that came from dubia roaches.com and I havent been able to find it since
97951-5464430083.jpg
this also has a cave and it uses it more than the other one same w/ Hiccup he uses the one under the UVB more so -- go look at petsmart see what you find if you have one in your town I would go look in person --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom