Question after Solarmeter Model 6.5R purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkratman

Hi Everyone,

I don't post often, but often lurk.

Hoping someone can help me out with a question for Finster. See here about him: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=254235

I have a T5 Reptisun 10.0 in a 22" fixture w/ reflector. It's about 14" off the basking spot, maybe 13" off Finster's back. Enclosure is standard crossfire size, 4x2x2. Basking temp 105-110, cool side 79-84, nightime no less than 65. Main feeders are BSF, collards, etc, all stuff from the approved list, good variety. He still insists on eating pellets :) Also, drinks from a bowl, so well hydrated.

Finster was hiding a lot, though eating and excreting everyday, seemed happy enough, very active, but he always wants OUT. I usually let him sit with me about 4-5 hours a day while I work, and I worry he does not get enough UVB because the room we are in faces north, almost no sun. I did set up a pillow and a regular bulb light for heat. I take him to the south side of the house (upstairs) when I can and prop him in front of a window, but still worry he's not getting enough UVB, especially with his history.

ANYWAY, he seemed to really dislike his basking spot, he goes there, but spends a lot of time in the shade. So I bought the Solarmeter Model 6.5. I got a reading of 5.5 at the basking spot, about an inch off the platform.

So, I put a piece of aluminum screen between the enclosure and the T5, and it dropped to 3.4.

He seems happier, for sure.

Is 3.5 enough? Should I let him just hide form the full force of the UVB (5.5)?

I do have this, and have studied it as much as I can, but I'm unsure.

https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

Thanks for your advice in advance.

John

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
3.5 is just fine, especially if he seems happier. Always best to make adjustments like that based on their reactions. If he is happier, keep it the way it is. 3.5 is about what you'd see in mid morning or late afternoon - well within their natural basking time. Taterbug's chart is very good to reference for lighting adjustments and will show that you're within a good range too. This is also a good reason to create UVB (and heat) gradients. They'll move around to get what they want. Too hot? Too much UVB? just sit to the side where it's a bit lower (and vice versa).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom