New Bearded Dragon Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! We just got a new bearded dragon who’s about 4-6 months old and I bought the terrarium with kit that the store sold me. I’m reading a lot about the correct lighting and I’m wondering how that will work with my setup. It’s a 40 gallon tank with a stronger top that I bought additional in case the cats got on it. I have the dual lamp with one side being the basking zoo med repti basking 100 watt and the uvb is zoo med repti sun 10.0 26 watt. The very top of his basking spot is about 7.5 inches away from the light and I took the temp with the probe which said 107 when setting it on the top of the rock. The cool side probed at 75. I’m wondering what lighting I should upgrade to so he’s getting everything he needs and sitting on his hammock when he’s not on his rock. I’m looking at the t5 so I can possibly put it on top but I’m not sure of strength and the distance to the top of his rock being 8 inches. Any advice would be so helpful! Thanks! (I have to figure out how to add pictures!)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is a wide hole screen so you can get a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb or and I would recommend this one since you want to put it on top its flat and I think the reflectors on the Pro T 5 hang down but I think they would lay flat on top of the screen - its a good fixture and bulb and its in stock -- the
Zoo Med 24" fixture you will haft to get it off Amazon all my go to places are out of stock
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_6?crid=JJRMD90AVIOH&dchild=1&keywords=zoo+med+24+hood&qid=1625147469&sprefix=zoo+med+24%22%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-6
for the Zoo Med the fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you will want to get a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb let me know what you decide and I will help you further

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Ok thank you, so the Amazon linked light says it includes the t5 ho uvb 50, is that the right bulb? Also how does it work if he sits on the front on his hammock? He likes to sit there a lot. Also is the basking temperature ok of 107? Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you getting the temp w/ a digital probe thermometer? Stick ons are inaccurate - the probe needs to sit on the basking spot where he sits -- if your using the hammock and a stick on for measuring temps its incorrect --- 107 is too warm for a juvenile you want temps 95-100--- and I would replace the green plastic hammock w/ a cloth one or fleece http://www.pamperedbeardies.com the mesh ones cause too many injuries w/ the toes and feet --- the Zoo Med comes standard w/ the 5.0 you want a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- the 5.0 is more for aquarium use but can be used but the distance is different and it would need to go inside the tank --- its not as strong as the 10.0 its for desert not water -- when you get the UVB and its on top of the screen please have your basking decor directly underneath w/a distance of 8-10 inches

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Oh ok I will look for the that new uvb. I’m using a digital probe and I set the end on top of his rock. How do I get it to not be so hot when it’s a 100w bulb just sitting on top of the screen?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Either adjust the decor piece or down size the wattage
Here is the answer I got back from pangea about the fixtures

Customer Service Team (Pangea Reptile)

Jul 1, 2021, 10:28 AM EDT

Hi there,

I'd imagine that this will probably be in in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm sorry I can't give you an exact answer! We ordered our most recent zoo med order over a month ago and we're just waiting on them to ship it to us and they haven't given us a time frame.

Thanks,
Valerie

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Ok thank you again! So I just put the uvb along the back and then get a new lamp cover just for the basking light since I won’t need the duo? Also if he moves to his hammock in the front of the cage will he still be getting his uvb rays?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want a piece of decor directly under the UVB 8-10 inches if the hammock is under it your good - and yes I would get a single dome for your basking bulb - you can have two separate basking areas if you want - one w/ the UVB set up w/ a single dome basking bulb of 50 watt that has temps in the 90's and then the hot side of basking bulb area 95-100- you can set the UVB up in the middle of the tank w/ the basking bulb behind it or in front w/ your decor piece directly under it 8-10 inches -
my tank is a 120 gallon and I have Hiccups tank set up that way

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Ok so if I get a new dome can I use my 100 watt basking on a dimmer or do I just get a 50 watt bulb to replace it. Also what size dome fits the basking bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If your using 2 different basking spots one hot side use your 100 watt the middle of the tank you want a 50 watt if that keeps temps in the 90's- you don't want middle of tank 100 or higher- look at the inside of your dome it will tell you what wattage it is or goes up to

Chrissy816

Original Poster
Hi ice for my new lighting set up! Stew got injured so it’s even more important I have it all set up right. I have his basking bulb of 100w with the digital probe, keeping it around 95 (he’s 5 months old)? Then I got the reptisun 10.0 bulb in a 22” fixture. His rock puts him about 8 inches under the lights, I made it so his uvb goes all the way over his basking spot and then pointed his basking at the same area. He’s been really sleepy since his injury and I changed the lights around the same time so I want to make sure it’s not due to temps or the lights being too close. The holes in the screen top are a little smaller than a pencil eraser. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom