DIY basking platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

CATaylor

I want to make a Styrofoam platform and was trying to find out a few things and am getting conflicting info.
What type of glue is ok to use and what can I put on it to coat it when it's done? Was thinking of using grout (was suggested to me), but wasn't sure if that was safe or if it had to be a specific grout. TIA!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd avoid Styrofoam and glues for it.

They breakdown and outgas over long periods ( the dragon will be living a what is essentially a confined space ==> gases and fumes WILL accumulate to toxic concentrations very quickly).

Use plywood or balsa wood instead would be my recommendations if you can't make a mould and used acrylic resin to cast your own homemade platform .

CATaylor

Original Poster
I have wood! I can make it out of wood instead! Would you still do something like grout it for texture? Or just leave it as is? I was thinking of something a little rough so he could rub against it when shedding.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't grout the timber as it'll eventually chip and flake off .

If you want a durable surface on the timber you'll use , seal it with some kind of fast drying sealer ( like people use on drywalls) before they glue on wallpaper or flashbacks (above kitchen benches) or tiles.

I think wall or floor tiles with textured stone-like surface will be a very good option ( the glaze makes them super easy to spot clean ).

I advise against natural slate tiles - they delaminate and shed razer sharp shards .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom