UVB Lighting 20G Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

russtelen

Hello everyone,

I’m super new to this and would like some advice

I recently got a beardie and he/she is still pretty young. He/she is about (7-9inches).

I ended up buying a Thrive 20 gal starter kit 30 inch long x 12 high . I had bought the kit before reading somewhere that it doesn’t have the best uvb lighting.

I wanna get this right and do what’s best for my beardie so I would like to ask what would be the best set up re: UVB lighting.

I was thinking of getting a T 5 HO 10.0 bulb + a hood. I was wondering if that would be too much for a small 20 gal tank ? Or should a 5.0 suffice ?

Also I think it’s worth mentioning that the kit has a screen lid which I plan on putting the hood on.

Looking forward guys !! Thanks

Russ

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi Russ
You can get a 24" fixture for the 20 gallon I would get this one it will have a 5.0 bulb of which you can use on the 20 gallon for now--- your dragon will not be in that tank for long --- get the Zoo Med
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html and use the 5.0 bulb it comes w/ --- you will need to have it width wise on the tank on one end so the bulb is unobstructed the 5.0's are not as strong as the 10.0 distance between those two bulbs is key here -- take the UVB have it sit width wise across your tank place the screen up to it set the basking bulb next to it so you have your basking area all in one spot- you will need a piece of decor directly underneath the UVB 6-8 inches under it -- make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps 105-110 NO stick ons they are only for ambient temps --- here is a pic of my 20 gallon I had set up for Blaze I didnt use the screen on the tank so I had the basking bulb clamped on the very end and the UVB in the middle of the tank over the basking area -
97951-9562450009.jpg
the dome on the end is a ceramic heat emitter -- I did not use that
Make sure your not using a colored bulbs-- No heat mats NO heat rocks and NO sand
Also when you upgrade the tank to a 40 or better I recommend a 75-120 gallon you will need to upgrade the bulb only like this 22" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html and they are currently out of stock but you will need this bulb for the bigger tank -- the 5.0 will need to be changed out in 6 months and the 10.0's in a year-- the 24" fixture will go right into a bigger tank -- just remember the distance and placement are different from the 5.0 bulb -- when you haft to upgrade and need help please post back on here and we can help set that UVB in he new tank

russtelen

Original Poster
Wow thank you so much for very informative response!!

Will definitely get that 24” fixture ordered.

I just wanted to clarify one thing, you mentioned that with a 5.0, the light needs to unobstructed. Does that mean I shouldnt have the screen on? Or is it okay to have it on?

If the answer is no (no screen on), will there be issues of my beardie escaping ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can set the screen butted up to the UVB so there would be no way for him to escape -- even then you would need to have the basking decor way up there for him to jump if you look at my 20 gallon there wasnt a piece of decor high enough for Blaze to get out and I remember having the screen on partially -- on the one end under the dome -- and yes you need the UVB w/ the 5.0 unobstructed -- NO screen NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- there wont be one tho w/ the 24" fixture

russtelen

Original Poster
Awesome thank you so much for your help!

Will send pictures to confirm that i got the set up correct once the bulb arrives

Thanks again!

russtelen

Original Poster
Update !!

Local store had the Reptisun T 5 hood!

Had it set up like this! Let me know if there is anything i need to change!

Cheers!!

111257-8549189572.jpg

111257-1461160956.jpg

111257-3706901781.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What length of UVB and is there a 5.0 bulb in the fixture or a T 5 bulb? 10.0?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so distance 6-8 inches directly above it and he looks like hes sitting under already

russtelen

Original Poster
Yea its perfect height!

My basking decor is about 5-6 inches high. Tank is 12 inches high

He defs enjoying himself haha

Thanks for your help! Will defs follow up again once he's grown bigger and i've gotten a bigger tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom