enclosure set up advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracyg

Hi, I have taken over the care of a 2 year old dragon and have questions about the enclosure he came in. His viv is 4ftx 20 inches x 18 inches and he has 3 different lights in. one is a uvb the other is a halogen basking bulb and there is also a daylight strip light. The 2 strip lights are on a double lead with just one plug but i dont know why there are 2 different strip lights.do i need the daylight one? its called a natural light full spectrum daylight bulb. the uvb is a reptile uvb 150. The halogen bulb sits on mesh outside the viv and gets to a temp of 42c, cool end is 24c. a few things came with the viv that are not in the set up as it is currently, they just came in a box as extras. im not sure if i need them. One is a arcadia dry viv controller or ballast lamp i think, the other is a habitat micro thermostat, i think its a pulse one.I havent a clue what to do with them or even if i need them at all. Thanks in advance

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get rid of this it is NO good reptile uvb 150-- the Arcadia dry viv controller I am thinking a controller for heat bulbs - but I am not sure --- I think we need to consult Cooper Dragon on that one-- but what you need is this https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-kit-desert-12/ for a UVB this is a real good one --- you need a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps-- the 42C is good so you want a range of 35-42 C for a adult bearded dragon -- that temp needs to be taken by the digital - bulb must be a bright white basking bulb NO colored or off white or yellowish bulb -- the micro stat is a thermostat that can be used -- again Cooper Dragon is going to haft to address this one-- I am going to flag your post to him

Tracyg

Original Poster
Hi, I have 2 digital thermometers in there at the moment and the temps are fine, i did go out today and buy a high range dimming thermostat and set it at 40c as the pulse one that came in a box of extra stuff that came with the viv only went to 30-something c. The basking bulb is bright white halogen so hope thats ok. So Are you saying his UVB strip light is wrong? what about that daylight strip light i mentioned earlier? should i remove it? so just have the UVB and basking bulb or is the daylight one doing no harm? Everything gets switched off at night. One more thing in winter in Scotland its cold so should i use that arcadia dry viv thing with a ceramic bulb for through the night?
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have flagged the post to Cooper Dragon he can help out w/ those other things you have -- the daylight strip is I am thinking for extra light in the tank -- the bright white halogen is good as long as its keeping your temps to what they need to be --- you MUST get rid of that coil UVB 150 watt that is doing damage to your dragon -- does it look like this https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/exo-terra-reptile-uvb
Yes you can use viv controller for a ceramic heater I believe -- Cooper Dragon can answer that question as well --

Tracyg

Original Poster
Hi, Thanks for the speedy response. No its not anything like that coil bulb its an exo terra reptile desert uvb 150 strip type bulb 30 inches long.
Many thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok keep the fixture but get the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or Arcadia 12% desert bulb - those two are the best on the market-- where is the fixture? Top of screen or inside the tank?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I believe the UVB150 linear version is a T8. The dual fixture is probably combining the T8 with a daylight T8 for added visual brightness. That part is OK, but may not be necessary. I'd probably try to set that T8 UVB light within about 8in/20cm above the main basking area for best output. Since their output declines over time and you may not know when the bulb was purchased, it might be a good idea to just go with something new when you can. In an enclosure that size, a T5 is the way to go as mentioned. I'd get an Arcadia if you can. Where are you located? Availability varies quite a bit depending on location.

Your temperature gradient sounds good. Are you measuring surface temps using a digital thermometer with a probe? IR temp gun? It's best to get accurate surface temperature measurements to adjust the lights rather than using ambient temps.

The controller is a good one, and you could get a bulb to use with it if you'd like. If it doesn't have a reflector you'd want to get one of those as well. Do you know the model number?

The pulse thermostat can be useful for controlling a ceramic heat emitter or heat projector. These are used for overnight heat since they don't emit visible light (making pulse on/off changes not noticeable). They aren't much use with a basking light though.

Tracyg

Original Poster
Hi,
I will go and get a new bulb. im measuring temps with a probe just near his basking spot, its sort of floating as i used wire to position it, same with the cool end one. I do have another spare probe thermometer. should i set it up near the floor?
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want it where he sits for basking- it does not need to stay there but you want to get it every so often - and you can leave the probe stuck to the side of the tank that will give you ambient temps on the hot side too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom