Sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom got sand for my beardie and I want to know if it's safe. (P.S I didn't know she was getting it because I previously asked for carpet but she got sand instead) The sand is called Natural Golden Calcium Sand. Its 10 pounds and the company is by Thrive (A world of wonder). Its recommended for adult bearded dragons, Sandstorm is not an adult, but she's 6 months currently. Im worried about if she could get impacted when she eats bugs or if she just ends up licking the sand. (Since she loves to explore with her mouth) Should I just order carpet and wait to use the sand when she's an adult? Or will she be safe enough to use the sand? (I won't use the sand until if get more info)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do not use the sand PERIOD-- your dragon is going to eat it and yes it will impact her ---- get it of the tank and replace w/ some paper towels for now -- your better off going w/ some texture NON adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot etc --- cut it to the size of the tank and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution ---- but please NO sand

Lilbear

Hatchling Member
I echo this as well. Get the sand out of your viv immediately. We used it for sometime with near tragic results. Our viv has small computer fans that come on ten minutes after and before the hour. The fans started slowing down due to the dust exhausting from the viv. I can only imagine what our beardie was experiencing as well. I thought the sand would help in stabilizing tank temps but discovering this fan issue helped in avoiding a near tragedy. Stay away from sand at all costs! Too many other options offering better health advantages for your dragon.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Stay clear of sand (especially calcisand) it's killed a lot of dragons (comes in second place... to bad advice from Petsmart and Petco). I use ceramic tile myself, nothing but the best for my dragons.

Lilbear

Hatchling Member
Stay clear of sand (especially calcisand) it's killed a lot of dragons (comes in second place... to bad advice from Petsmart and Petco). I use ceramic tile myself, nothing but the best for my dragons.
In our beardies' viv we went to ceramic tile as well, it has somewhat of a sculpted texture. I think we'll try indoor/outdoor carpet ontop of the tile, the kind that looks like artificial grass. I believe it would be better than the plain beardie carpet, easy to clean and fairly cheap. I think I'll cut three or four extras as backups which would benefit in quick cleans or emergency cleans.
On the sand issue, a co-worker had the same experience we had. Extremely dusty interior which led to near death with his beardie. I don't think a lot of us realized the severity of this dust issue associated with the use of sand. Just a bad deal all the way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom