Newbie uvb lighting question help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shue562

Hello I got a 1 year old bearded dragon with the set up from a friend who could no longer care for her properly. There is a zoomed tube fixture with reflector and a brand new reptisun 10 t8 bulb. Should this be mounted inside the tank or on top of the metal screen pictured below?
111056-4647553903.jpg
if it does need to be mounted inside is it okay to turn it sideways so I can mount against the back wall or does it need to hang from above ? I would just replace the bulb but I can’t find a t5 in 18”. Thanks for the help ?

Shue562

Original Poster
Okay thanks so much for the info! Makes me a little more nervous knowing that it needed to be inside this whole time. The person I got her from had the reptisun 5 above the screen her whole life and also fed her mostly spinach makes me worry about her bones .?I’m gonna keep the set up I have and mount inside once it’s time to replace the bulb in 6months I’ll replace the whole deal. I’ve already sunk a few hundred in vet bills the past two months. The Home Depot link didn’t work and I’m interested in this Velcro . Is it strong enough to hold up the whole fixture?? Last thing I would want is the thing falling down on top of her. I would do the zipties out I don’t think they make them skinny enough to fit through the screen . Guess I could use wire cutters to make them bigger. I also worry the heat from the basking bulb could melt the fixture.?Thanks again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
try this again --- it worked for me
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
please NO more spinach!!! here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Please start feeding calcium on the insects D 3 --- my guess she has or is developing MBD -- depending on the screen she had / was using the T 5 could of been on top BUT ONLY if it was wide hole type other wise she was not getting very much UVB -- my guess she didnt have the decor piece directly under neath w/ a distance of 8-10 inches either --- and yes it can hold the fixture just fine -- I am using the stuff on two of my Zoo Meds and they are pretty light weight --- wrap around the fixture

Shue562

Original Poster
I was just a little confused on the lighting with that metal screen the holes are pretty small.I’ve been doing my homework, so no more spinach. Trying to learn as much as I can so I can get her in tiptop shape. The more I learn the more I realize she wasn’t being cared for very well. She gets collard , mustard and dandelion greens and some kale. She doesn’t seem to like veggies but I’ve been cutting them real fine or grating so they get stuck to the leaves. I dust her insects with calcium and d3 2-3 times a week. Been giving her a lot of calciworms along with dubias ( her staple) horn worms and the occasional wax worm and earthworm when she’ll eat them.
Is there a test they can do for MBD or just an X-ray .
Appearance wise there’s no signs of it. She does have some parasites we are battling right now and her behavior and symptoms are all over place.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes they can do a X ray to look at where the calcium is at --- good UVB will help her absorb / synthesize the calcium your feeding -- I am glad she is showing no signs of MBD -- usually they just pop up its like a shock cuz all of a sudden they cant use their back legs - her poops will tell you if shes getting too much calcium the white urate will be yellow on the edges - colored foods will also turn the urate as well example if your feeding red peppers or too much sweet potato too much carrots all will turn the urate a orange color--- get your UVB in place and that is going to help get her back on track w/ the calcium -- your calci worms you dont need to dust just the roaches --

Shue562

Original Poster
Okay got the light in the tank! She about 6-8”away on her hammock , 14” from the ground. I’m gonna order her a new something for a basking spot and get rid of the hammock . What do you think? Should I move the uvb closer to the basking corner? I just wanted there to be some exposure towards the middle and cooler side.
111056-6668479140.jpg
111056-2430455894.jpg
111056-1677223491.jpg
111056-5090294429.jpg
she really pancaked herself out as soon as I got her back in the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would move that UVB over or get a another piece of decor directly under it --

Shue562

Original Poster
I got her this
111056-883410997.jpg
she’s seems to be enjoying it and can self regulate her temp and uvb exposure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Looks good just make sure your using a digital probe thermometer to get the temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom