Exo terra 36x18 plastic cross and heat lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krm1263

Hello im currently trying to set up an exo terra 36x18x18 for a bearded dragon and my heat lamp would melt the plastic cross that is on top of the mesh and I was wondering how I could set up my basking spot to prevent that from happening.

I am also kind of having a problem getting a basking spot up to temp because it seems like my basking area has to be very close to the top of the enclosure to get hot enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
You can try getting a lamp stand so the light isn't physically touching the top

As far as getting the basking spot to temp what are you using now (sorry if I missed it in your post)? What wattage bulbs you using? Also what size is your dragon and what is the height of your enclosure? 36x18 is okay for a baby but it's a bit tight for an adult. What are you using for UVB light?

Krm1263

Original Poster
I have considered this but I am already having a hard time getting a 110 degree basking area at the distance it is currently at sitting on top of the mesh

Krm1263

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20xprnf4 said:
Please post a pic of the tank so I can see it
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top if the message box then click on the pic it should post

111061-6040088404.jpg

I currently don't have the dragon just setting up the enclosure but it will be a young one and I plan to upgrade to a zen habitat over time.

Im using a reptisun t5ho in a sunblaster fixture for uvb

The basking bulb is a 150w flukers bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so to be on the safe side and future UVB issues please have the UVB fixture directly over the basking decor about 12-15 inches --- so get it off the back wall please --- there seems to be alot of issues w/ placement on the back wall -- eyes - dragon not getting enough UVB etc -- so to be on the safe side have it directly over him so the UVB rays are shining downward on him -- the bulb you have is a good one --- please look at this post and make sure your Sunblaster is not set up w/ the reflector backward viewtopic.php?f=34&t=253769
the substrate you can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank -- it can be purchased at your local home improvement store and clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- I would get some more decor pieces this is a good one from Petsmart it offers different gradient heat so the dragon can pick a spot he wants to bask for temps -- make sure you get a digital probe thermometer IR guns are inaccurate for hammocks
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 I use these in my dragons tanks - I have the big stick part laying on the floor w/ the big thick trunk part under that basking lamp -- if you need more help w/ anything please ask --- but we want your baby basking pooping eating and active -- the lighting in the tank is the MOST IMPORTANT thing in the tank ---

Shaun78

Hatchling Member
Sounds good. Okay so if you are having issues getting up to temp you can try using another lamp with either another basking bulb or using a ceramic heat emitter. The heat emitter puts out heat without putting out any light so it's good for use at night if the temp in your enclosure is dropping below 65 but you can also use it to help heat the enclosure in conjunction with a regular basking bulb during the day. My setup I use a dual dome lamp with two 150 watt basking bulbs to heat his enclosure and at night I have a CHE setup to an on/off thermostat to kick on if his cage temp drops below 65. Do NOT use those red bulbs for nighttime heat. It will interrupt your dragon's sleep.

Krm1263

Original Poster
Shaun78":ln64rbks said:
Sounds good. Okay so if you are having issues getting up to temp you can try using another lamp with either another basking bulb or using a ceramic heat emitter. The heat emitter puts out heat without putting out any light so it's good for use at night if the temp in your enclosure is dropping below 65 but you can also use it to help heat the enclosure in conjunction with a regular basking bulb during the day. My setup I use a dual dome lamp with two 150 watt basking bulbs to heat his enclosure and at night I have a CHE setup to an on/off thermostat to kick on if his cage temp drops below 65. Do NOT use those red bulbs for nighttime heat. It will interrupt your dragon's sleep.

Okay so to get temperatures higher i can just use a double fixture and 2 heat bulbs.

Any advice for the plastic melting?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
One 150 watt bulb should heat that tank --- unless its winter and the tank is in a room where its cold -- if that is the case use another basking lower wattage bulb -- like a 50 or 75 watt but please get a digital probe thermometer to get the temp --- you DO NOT want to burn the dragon up-- you can also get a dome and place it in the middle of the tank w/a regular household bulb NO LEDS's 60 or 40 watt to get the middle of the tank in the 90's -- place a piece of decor there for them as a second basking area --

Krm1263

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1a0zb9ns said:
One 150 watt bulb should heat that tank --- unless its winter and the tank is in a room where its cold -- if that is the case use another basking lower wattage bulb -- like a 50 or 75 watt but please get a digital probe thermometer to get the temp --- you DO NOT want to burn the dragon up-- you can also get a dome and place it in the middle of the tank w/a regular household bulb NO LEDS's 60 or 40 watt to get the middle of the tank in the 90's -- place a piece of decor there for them as a second basking area --

The problem im having is still the plastic beam on top of the mesh. I dont know how to have a heat bulb up there without melting it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Invest in a stand -- post a pic of the top you can always move the basking area to where its not on the plastic part -- but post a pic of it and we can go from there

Krm1263

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gkze5tb said:
Invest in a stand -- post a pic of the top you can always move the basking area to where its not on the plastic part -- but post a pic of it and we can go from there

111061-844417331.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It would help but not sure about not completely -- anything non flammable that lifts the dome off the plastic -- I would try the castors -- or something you might have at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom