Rescued an adult Beardie. Concerned about behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsmom

Hello and thanks for having me. I recently (3/1/2021) adopted an adult bearded dragon. My best friend died unexpectedly and this dragon was going to be left in his apartment to die. I have zero experience. I’ve researched extensively and have happily spent a small fortune. We have her in a 2 by 4 viv (she was in a 4 by 1 glass tank) with all the proper lighting (mvb 110 watt, two hides, a basking spot, a cool side, a full length terrarium light with a 10 uvb bulb, a safe substrate, plants, etc) Her former owner did the very best he could but fed her only crickets. She’s now fed lots of greens with about 10 crickets a day. She gets baths now and has been to the vet, has had stool samples and vet says she’s healthy. I’m very concerned that In the last few days she hasn’t come out of her hide, hasn’t been basking and just seems depressed. I added a hammock a few days ago. She just finished shedding. Should I be concerned? I want to give her a wonderful life. She deserves it. I’m just new at this and am very concerned that she hasn’t left her hide in two days. Can someone please give advice? Thank you so much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome and bless you for taking the dragon in --- lets go over your basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? NO stickons please -- they should be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- next the UVB is a 110 watt? It sounds like a coil-- is this a long tube fixture a full length terrarium light with a 10 uvb bulb-- if so how old is it and what bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8 -- I will help you get this placed in the tank -- they each have certain distances and placement- she will go thru relocation stress so her eating will be off but the hiding for 2 days can be not unusual but we need to get the temps and the UVB situated first - these two things control the overall health and behavior of the dragon -- the tank is a 4x2x2 ? how many gallon? If you can post pics of the tank and lighting and dragon please --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
His diet should be fresh salads everyday and protein every 2-3 days dusted w/ calcium powder D3 also worms can be added in there for treats -- super worms meal worms horn worms
another good staple feeder is dubia roaches which I recommend also silk worms are good too
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Redsmom

Original Poster
110780-1298722448.jpg
110780-5197154246.jpg
110780-9431186243.jpg
I bought a Mercury vapor bulb and have the receipt but have to look on the site to see the wattage. I also bought the hood that the MVB is in and it did have a coil light so I got a hood light as well. An 8 I believe. She never ate salads or and greens before we got her but that is the majority of her diet now and I have done extensive research on what is good for her. I also got an infrared thermometer and her basking spot is always between 100-110. Cool side is about 85. We live in a very dry climate so humidity is not an issue. We don’t have a lot of protein options locally but I do order live dubias and hornworms (only as a treat) we dust her food with rep-cal. She had been out basking, mouth open seemingly happy. The only thing we’ve done lately is put, gently, a better support under her viv and hung the hammock. She had a good, big poop the day before yesterday. She gets fresh water daily. She gets misted with water (she doesn’t mind at all) But after we put the new support under her viv, she was afraid (I feel rotten about it) but it needed more support. Is there anything I forgot? I’m very new to this forum platform as well.

Redsmom

Original Poster
Also, no kale. Collard greens, beet and carrot greens, cilantro (she likes that a lot) Brussels sprouts, a bit of sweet potato, acorn squash, blueberries, apple but very little fruit.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your doing good the T 8 needs to go inside the tank - its not doing much good on top of the screen T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen -- it would need to sit about 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor --- please get rid of the coil -- your MVB is what brand please and the wattage? They have certain distances for wattages etc--- I would recommend you get a digital probe thermometer to get accurate temps- some IR guns cannot read off of certain materials hammocks being one-- you can rinse her salads before serving if shes eating those she will get moisture from them - older dragons do not like real hot temps if you can get the temp down to 95-100 that would be good --

Redsmom

Original Poster
110780-7027763137.jpg
I can’t put the T8 inside. It’s a sealed system on top. I am happy to buy a different bulb. I will order the thermometer you recommended today. I also noticed that her beard is quite swollen/larger than normal. I want to help her, what can I do today? I’ll reduce the basking temp right away.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That MVB is not a good bulb -- if your gonna stay w/ a MVB I recommend a Power Sun or a Mega Ray - 160 watt -- I would get rid of the Thrive tho --- what is the screen on your tank is it a wide holed type or a fine mesh like a screen door?

Redsmom

Original Poster
I would say fine screen. I will take a picture. That bulb was $50! I’m happy to get a new one though. Can I do anything for her today? Like I said, she hasn’t come out of her hide. Should I just take her out and bathe her? An unrelated question but she’s NEVER done the angry black beard thing. She shows zero aggression. Is that normal? Also, she was thought by my friend to be a boy. Vet said she’s a she. Might she need an ex ray to check for impacted eggs?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you offered her any water on her nose to see if she will lick? You can try bathing her to see if she will drink - dragons get most of their hydration from the greens rinsed before serving and gut loaded insects -- you dont want a black beard --- that is a sign of distress / pain or sometimes part of mating-- it depends on the situation -- please post a pic of her butt w/ tail in the air so we can get a good look at the vent area -- people on here are pretty good about determining sex -- is she digging at all acting crazy like she needs to get out ? Crazy behavior like that is a sign of eggs -- as far as the UVB it will need to be unobstructed -- NO screen NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- I was going to say if your screen was a wide hole type you could go to a T 5 and it would be able to sit on top but w/ a fine it too needs to go into the tank -- you may haft to cut a hole for the UVB making it so its unobstructed

Redsmom

Original Poster
I will post a pic of the screen but will cut it if need be. My son and I are doing a full cleaning later today.He bathes while I clean. Have tried to drip water down to her nose..she hates it! I do offer her drops from my finger or a dropper and leave all the water on her greens. I also mist her which she seems to like. She hasn’t been digging but seemed very itchy (rubbing her face on the glass back and forth. New behavior) when she shedded about two weeks ago. She even helped herself with the soft toothbrush I sometimes use on her sides (just seems more effective than fingers sometimes)....rubbed her own itchy spots. It was really cute actually. Vet said she’s at least 3-4 years old and since my friend thought she was a he, certainly he would have noticed if she laid eggs unless her new environment is conducive to laying? We have all four seasons here and spring is definitely in the air. I’ll have to do more research on laying eggs if she never has. I hate to ask questions that I should be finding on my own. I will also take a picture of her booty, tail up like you asked. I’m doing my very best to regulate the temps and will be more vigilant as the season is changing. Thank you so much for your help! I truly appreciate it!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which brand of MVB light is that, a Thrive? Which company puts that particular MVB out?
I don't think they are very good, but, if you can use a good UVB tube bulb as Karrie had
suggested, you could hold onto the Thrive MVB. In order to get more UVB to your boy, you
could cut a hole in the screen so that the UVB was stronger for him. As long as the MVB is
getting to the optimal basking temperatures then it should be ok to keep assuming it isn't
causing him to squint, etc. Some of them are hard on their eyes if they emit low wavelength
UVC frequency. Usually you can determine that pretty quickly if he avoids the light or has
eye issues.

I am sure that he will do well with you, bless him!

Tracie

Redsmom

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2mn2cmjb said:
Welcome and bless you for taking the dragon in --- lets go over your basking temps what are they are how are you taking them? NO stickons please -- they should be 95-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer-- next the UVB is a 110 watt? It sounds like a coil-- is this a long tube fixture a full length terrarium light with a 10 uvb bulb-- if so how old is it and what bulb are you using a T 5 or a T 8 -- I will help you get this placed in the tank -- they each have certain distances and placement- she will go thru relocation stress so her eating will be off but the hiding for 2 days can be not unusual but we need to get the temps and the UVB situated first - these two things control the overall health and behavior of the dragon -- the tank is a 4x2x2 ? how many gallon? If you can post pics of the tank and lighting and dragon please --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
His diet should be fresh salads everyday and protein every 2-3 days dusted w/ calcium powder D3 also worms can be added in there for treats -- super worms meal worms horn worms
another good staple feeder is dubia roaches which I recommend also silk worms are good too
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Hello again. So, Red was doing well until recently. She had been hiding most of the day, day after day and would just sit with her nose in the corner. Wouldn’t eat a thing! Took her to the vet again and though not an exotics vet, she gave her a five day round dose of antibiotics but said she looks well, no skin issues, doesn’t seem impacted. As I mentioned, she has the mvb 100w, a coil bulb which I’m getting rid of and now a 48 inch tube florescent (T8-10.0) bulb. I read SO MUCH about thermometers(and every other thing) and bought a IR but I have three more coming ( one probe and two of the digital hanging kind. All other specs are in my original post but feel to ask! All the bulbs are above the screen (wide screen) and I got a UV tester which, if accurate, is reading at a good level. Because of the swamp cooler, her basking spot (and hot side) temp is too low (90) so I added a regular heat bulb to bring up the temp in her viv. She won’t use her elevated basking spot and I’ve since tried a few different kinds but she’s not thrilled with new things! I rescued her out of obligation so please be kind? I’ve also bathed her daily, taken her out to get some sunlight, tried “critical care” per the vets recommendation, baby food, slurries, you name it, to make sure she is well. I even handle her easily now (I had to work up to that) and take her out, rest her on my chest, stroke her gently, talk to her, let her loose on the kitchen floor (I neurotically sweep and mop every time) and let her run in the grass (holy crap, she’s quick! I see now why leashes are used!) and she’s eating again, enthusiastically, but only live food, no greens and no fruit. I’ve grown to love her SO MUCH! I just want to if I’m doing everything right? I so appreciate your feedback!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your 48" UVB is going to need to be unobstructed it is not strong enough to go thru the screen --- if you decide to keep it you can pull your screen towards the front and place it across the back of the tank w/ the basking decor directly underneath distance 6-8 inches ---OR you can return it and get a 24" fixture like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
it is up to you -- as long as you have digital probes you are good -- the IR gun is handy but they will not read off of certain materials and one of being a hammocks -- as long as her basking spot is 95-100 your good --- are you using a bright white basking bulb? No off white or yellowish bulbs -- did you get some BSFL to entice her to the salad bowl?

Redsmom

Original Poster
I bought the 48 inch because it was recommended. It’s so frustrating trying to get the correct info! I have a 24 inch I can put on the screen. Also a 12 inch that was on the tank she came in, new bulb of course with the highest UV rating. I have an MVB but someone here said it wasn’t a good brand and along with it, in the double dome, there is a coil bulb but I have a tube bulb that will fit. I’ve sprinkled bee pollen (from the bio dude) on her food but to no avail. She’s unenthusiastic about most things except bugs. In her previous home, she never had greens, never had a bath, viv was too small, no temperature control, just the 12 inch light across the top and a piece of driftwood for a basking spot. The heat lamp (in a separate dome) is just a clear, plain old hear bulb but I had to get that temp up! I’ve triped hammocks, she doesn’t like them. I have a basking platform which she used to use, but no longer. I see dragons going gung ho for their salads, but she never does. I appreciate your help! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom