Pick one - T5 HO 10.0 or T8 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgxfuad13

I currently have a t8 10.0 but I've been seeing that it has to be mounted inside. I also noticed people like the t5 HO 10.0 due to out put levels and can be top mounted.

What would you use for this 1 month old in his 40 gallon breeder?

110953-8205475178.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would invest in the T 5 and depending on the screen it can sit on top but it MUST be a wide holed type screen -- how are you taking basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons please -- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- and its good you are doing research on the UVB's -- if you place the T 8 in the tank it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and NO obstruction meaning NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- the T 5 has certain distance depending on the placement of the fixture

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qvmheny5 said:
I would invest in the T 5 and depending on the screen it can sit on top but it MUST be a wide holed type screen -- how are you taking basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons please -- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- and its good you are doing research on the UVB's -- if you place the T 8 in the tank it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and NO obstruction meaning NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- the T 5 has certain distance depending on the placement of the fixture

I have a probe digi that suctions on the side. Max temp gets to 100 on the side of the tank. Can I use the probe to check the basking area? And I have a 100w bulb with a 75w che.
Should I get a 150w basking bulb to make up for the 10° difference or higher che? I have a screen lid. It's the Thrive 40 gallon easy clean.

My t8 is about 6 inches away on top of the mesh. In a 20inch thrive strip.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Accurate temps probe needs to sit on basking spot your getting ambient temps- the T 8 needs to go inside tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays-- before you do anything w/ the basking bulb get a accurate temp please go from there-- you should not need a che to get basking temps- your basking bulb needs to do that

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35skx2f6 said:
Accurate temps probe needs to sit on basking spot your getting ambient temps- the T 8 needs to go inside tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays-- before you do anything w/ the basking bulb get a accurate temp please go from there-- you should not need a che to get basking temps- your basking bulb needs to do that

I've just seen where 100ws are good enough for 40 gallons but for whatever reason that's not the case for me. I wonder what I am doing wrong.. Any tips?

So if I get the t5 ho 10.0 and put it on the screen I should be good with that at least?

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3uava1zq said:

Should I upgrade my strip dome to the repisun t5 as well? Vs my thrive.
110953-7028711079.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The zoo Med is a better fixture if the screen is wide holed you can have the T 5 on top- also the T 5 bulb will not go into a T 8 fixture-- the T 5 is a skinner bulb--- I would recommend the zoo med fixture and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb they are a stronger bulb and need to be changed out once a year I recommend a month prior to- the T 8 needs to be changed out every 6 months a month prior to- is the one you posted a 24" I can't see it too blurry-also that fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which is similar to the T8 your using now - so you need to also order the bulb I recommended

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pixcwzf said:
The zoo Med is a better fixture if the screen is wide holed you can have the T 5 on top- also the T 5 bulb will not go into a T 8 fixture-- the T 5 is a skinner bulb--- I would recommend the zoo med fixture and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb they are a stronger bulb and need to be changed out once a year I recommend a month prior to- the T 8 needs to be changed out every 6 months a month prior to- is the one you posted a 24" I can't see it too blurry-

Yeah I read that part about t5 with t5 and t8 with t8.
It's a 20 inch. Should I get a 24?
I will go get that stuff tomorrow. I'll return my thrive stuff.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Return the thrive but you will probably haft to order on line try www.pangeareptiles.com I don't know if they have the 24" in stock they sell out fast along w/ the 10.0 bulb if they are out try www.petmountain.com-- most pet stores usually carry only the T 8's and fixtures 18 and 20" but the stuff I recommended is better quality

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1kvxkw6q said:
Return the thrive but you will probably haft to order on line try http://www.pangeareptiles.com I don't know if they have the 24" in stock they sell out fast along w/ the 10.0 bulb if they are out try http://www.petmountain.com-- most pet stores usually carry only the T 8's and fixtures 18 and 20" but the stuff I recommended is better quality

Ordered a 24inch and 22inch light. I found them on Amazon. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so when it comes in place it inside if your screen is fine mesh distance 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor - change the bulb out in 1 year I usually change mine out a month prior- if you need things to hang the fixture let me know I will post some for you

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":xmg9rxqq said:
Ok so when it comes in place it inside if your screen is fine mesh distance 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor - change the bulb out in 1 year I usually change mine out a month prior- if you need things to hang the fixture let me know I will post some for you

Is 12-15 maximum? Or would it be fine on the mesh at 6inches from basking spot? I have a hammock I can hang up to make him closer too. He just doesn't seem to use it.
I will definitely come back on here for more info from you and everyone! So far this site has been a god send. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it blocks too much uvb for a fine mesh- you can always buy a wide holed screen then the basking decor would need to be 8-10 directly under the basking decor

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cnofzxt said:
No it blocks too much uvb for a fine mesh- you can always buy a wide holed screen then the basking decor would need to be 8-10 directly under the basking decor

So one of these? Normal messes? It came up when I looked up wide mesh screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom