Pick one - T5 HO 10.0 or T8 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgxfuad13

I currently have a t8 10.0 but I've been seeing that it has to be mounted inside. I also noticed people like the t5 HO 10.0 due to out put levels and can be top mounted.

What would you use for this 1 month old in his 40 gallon breeder?

110953-8205475178.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would invest in the T 5 and depending on the screen it can sit on top but it MUST be a wide holed type screen -- how are you taking basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons please -- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- and its good you are doing research on the UVB's -- if you place the T 8 in the tank it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and NO obstruction meaning NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- the T 5 has certain distance depending on the placement of the fixture

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qvmheny5 said:
I would invest in the T 5 and depending on the screen it can sit on top but it MUST be a wide holed type screen -- how are you taking basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons please -- basking temps should be 105-110 for a baby --- and its good you are doing research on the UVB's -- if you place the T 8 in the tank it needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and NO obstruction meaning NO clear plastic cover over the bulb -- the T 5 has certain distance depending on the placement of the fixture

I have a probe digi that suctions on the side. Max temp gets to 100 on the side of the tank. Can I use the probe to check the basking area? And I have a 100w bulb with a 75w che.
Should I get a 150w basking bulb to make up for the 10° difference or higher che? I have a screen lid. It's the Thrive 40 gallon easy clean.

My t8 is about 6 inches away on top of the mesh. In a 20inch thrive strip.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Accurate temps probe needs to sit on basking spot your getting ambient temps- the T 8 needs to go inside tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays-- before you do anything w/ the basking bulb get a accurate temp please go from there-- you should not need a che to get basking temps- your basking bulb needs to do that

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35skx2f6 said:
Accurate temps probe needs to sit on basking spot your getting ambient temps- the T 8 needs to go inside tank - the screen is blocking 30% of those rays-- before you do anything w/ the basking bulb get a accurate temp please go from there-- you should not need a che to get basking temps- your basking bulb needs to do that

I've just seen where 100ws are good enough for 40 gallons but for whatever reason that's not the case for me. I wonder what I am doing wrong.. Any tips?

So if I get the t5 ho 10.0 and put it on the screen I should be good with that at least?

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3uava1zq said:

Should I upgrade my strip dome to the repisun t5 as well? Vs my thrive.
110953-7028711079.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The zoo Med is a better fixture if the screen is wide holed you can have the T 5 on top- also the T 5 bulb will not go into a T 8 fixture-- the T 5 is a skinner bulb--- I would recommend the zoo med fixture and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb they are a stronger bulb and need to be changed out once a year I recommend a month prior to- the T 8 needs to be changed out every 6 months a month prior to- is the one you posted a 24" I can't see it too blurry-also that fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb which is similar to the T8 your using now - so you need to also order the bulb I recommended

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2pixcwzf said:
The zoo Med is a better fixture if the screen is wide holed you can have the T 5 on top- also the T 5 bulb will not go into a T 8 fixture-- the T 5 is a skinner bulb--- I would recommend the zoo med fixture and the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb they are a stronger bulb and need to be changed out once a year I recommend a month prior to- the T 8 needs to be changed out every 6 months a month prior to- is the one you posted a 24" I can't see it too blurry-

Yeah I read that part about t5 with t5 and t8 with t8.
It's a 20 inch. Should I get a 24?
I will go get that stuff tomorrow. I'll return my thrive stuff.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Return the thrive but you will probably haft to order on line try www.pangeareptiles.com I don't know if they have the 24" in stock they sell out fast along w/ the 10.0 bulb if they are out try www.petmountain.com-- most pet stores usually carry only the T 8's and fixtures 18 and 20" but the stuff I recommended is better quality

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1kvxkw6q said:
Return the thrive but you will probably haft to order on line try http://www.pangeareptiles.com I don't know if they have the 24" in stock they sell out fast along w/ the 10.0 bulb if they are out try http://www.petmountain.com-- most pet stores usually carry only the T 8's and fixtures 18 and 20" but the stuff I recommended is better quality

Ordered a 24inch and 22inch light. I found them on Amazon. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so when it comes in place it inside if your screen is fine mesh distance 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor - change the bulb out in 1 year I usually change mine out a month prior- if you need things to hang the fixture let me know I will post some for you

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":xmg9rxqq said:
Ok so when it comes in place it inside if your screen is fine mesh distance 12-15 inches directly above your basking decor - change the bulb out in 1 year I usually change mine out a month prior- if you need things to hang the fixture let me know I will post some for you

Is 12-15 maximum? Or would it be fine on the mesh at 6inches from basking spot? I have a hammock I can hang up to make him closer too. He just doesn't seem to use it.
I will definitely come back on here for more info from you and everyone! So far this site has been a god send. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No it blocks too much uvb for a fine mesh- you can always buy a wide holed screen then the basking decor would need to be 8-10 directly under the basking decor

lgxfuad13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cnofzxt said:
No it blocks too much uvb for a fine mesh- you can always buy a wide holed screen then the basking decor would need to be 8-10 directly under the basking decor

So one of these? Normal messes? It came up when I looked up wide mesh screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom