Slate tiles: porous, absorbing poo and pee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning my soon-to-arrive ZenHabitats 4x2x2, and considering slate tiles for the floor. Lots of advantages: file beardie's nails, not slippery like ceramic tiles, looks more natural. But unsealed slate tiles are porous and I guess they would absorb beardies droppings, and quickly get stained and smelly.

Anyone had experience with natural slate? Do you recommend:

1) sealing the slate with chemical sealer? I'd be worried about toxicity
2) wash the slate after a poop and hope for the best
3) use a waterproof ceramic tile instead

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I do not have a sealant or waterproof on my tiles -- I have them layed in the tank w/ no grout or sealer in between -- they are cut to the size of the tank w/ a thick shop paper towel from Wal Mart underneath - the tile came from Home Depot it is a ceramic slated tile that is not coarse or porous here is a pic of the tile - it is a textured / coarse almost smooth it is hard to explain it but the dragons like it alot -
97951-666388767.jpg
97951-1422837680.jpg
Mine tiles do not absorb the pee or poop I clean them w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 solution - the towels absorb any urate that gets under it so I havent had any stains so far and its been in there for a while

JumbosDaddy

Original Poster
thanks so much KarrieRee, you've been really helpful, both in this post and my post about lighting. My Arcadia 24" is on the way

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good deal -- if you need help getting it hung post please and I can post things to hang w/ along w/ distance and placement

JumbosDaddy

Original Poster
thanks Karrie, it's a Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit 24" with a 14% bulb. I'm thinking of hanging it on the top screen towards the back on the hot side of the enclosure, with a mercury vapor for more light and heat, and a ceramic emitter for heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That 14% bulb needs a distance of at least 17-18 inches above the basking decor ---you do not want to over UVB him or over heat him --- make sure your getting basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer -- what brand and bulb of MVB are you getting -- they have certain placement and distance requirements as well --- to be honest if your going to use the 14% bulb I would stay w/a regular bright white basking bulb -- since MVB have UVB as well it is possible to over do that w/ that strong Arcadia -- if you were using the 12% I wouldnt be so concerned w/ the MVB as well but the 14% you have a risk of him hiding from the UVB rays --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom