Under tank heat pads vs Ceramic Bulb? I am new to both

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Under tank heat pads vs Ceramic Bulb? I am new to both

Postby JoeG » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm

Hi, This is not for my Sons BD its for my Daughter who wants to get a Leopard Gecko. Which is the better way to go for night heat? The Matt makes me a bit nervous. But if you guys like it ill try it. Can you guys link me to good choices and thermostats as well. The tank is a 40 G Breeder size. Thanks
JoeG
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Under tank heat pads vs Ceramic Bulb? I am new to both

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:53 pm

I'm not sure about the requirements for leos in particular, but I like the heat projector bulbs that Arcadia makes. They work like a ceramic heat emitter but get much less hot to the touch. I prefer them over heat mats, but it kind of depends on the application I suppose. A fairly simple on/off or pulse thermostat would work for a heat projector. You don't need to get into the more expensive dimming thermostats unless you're controlling a basking bulb.
CooperDragon

Postby JoeG » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:43 pm

I am learning myself but they need heat at night but not light, So i need a way to heat the tank without light. What size bulb would you recommend?
JoeG
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:51 pm

I use these MegaRay bulbs for nighttime heat in my dragon's enclosure and to heat my roach enclosure http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75&products_id=196

Arcadia makes one that is very similar http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-deep-heat-projector-50w-sale/

Either of them should work nicely and last for several years.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures