Type of soil for lay box

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
I have a bearded dragon who is trying to lay eggs at the moment. In the past we've always used sand in her lay box, but she recently got a lot of sand in her eye and we don't want to risk it again. I was wondering if someone could give me advice on what type of soil to purchase for her lay box substrate. I read somewhere that it should only be plain soil with no fertilizer or anything, but I can't find any products like that in person or online at the moment. I found a product on Amazon called "Exo Terra Plantation Soil" and it looks like it's coconut fiber substrate. Could this be safe to use? Can someone give me some guidance on what to purchase? Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since she's having issues with the sand (it's usually damp play sand that is recommended to mix with the soil) I'd try just damp topsoil. A lot of the hardware stores with garden centers have started carrying it for the season. A big bag of store brand topsoil from my local Ace is pretty cheap, a few bucks for 40lbs or so which is more than you'd need.

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":rkkf1siv said:
Since she's having issues with the sand (it's usually damp play sand that is recommended to mix with the soil) I'd try just damp topsoil. A lot of the hardware stores with garden centers have started carrying it for the season. A big bag of store brand topsoil from my local Ace is pretty cheap, a few bucks for 40lbs or so which is more than you'd need.

Oh, hi! Sorry, you just answered my question on my other thread haha. Are there any ingredients in the top soil we need to steer clear of? For instance, all the ones at my local store had fertilizer in them. Thanks for being so helpful always!

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3copoadl said:
Yeah avoid the ones with fertilizer in them. Try to stick with basic organic topsoil. This is what I use in my garden and it would work for a dig box too https://shop.gordonsace.com/products/ace-top-soil-40-|72434.html

Thank you! It's a bit harder for us because we live in NYC and have no access to a car, and unfortunately there is no Ace Hardware here. We lack large home & garden department stores in general here. I ended up ordering this from Amazon. Do you think something like this could be okay?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7PA09Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah either should do the trick. Certainly harder to get your hands on that sort of stuff in New York. I remember what an ordeal it was to get to the Home Depot in Queens for stuff like that :lol:

lizdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2rzh1n2z said:
Yeah either should do the trick. Certainly harder to get your hands on that sort of stuff in New York. I remember what an ordeal it was to get to the Home Depot in Queens for stuff like that :lol:

Oh man it is tough! Normally I would take the subway but I don't feel quite comfortable yet because I'm pregnant and unvaccinated as of now. Covid has certainly made taking care of Liz harder!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can imagine. I certainly wouldn't be on the subway if I could avoid it. Hopefully the soil you ordered will arrive soon. That should work out well. The leftovers can be used to pot some nice plants =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom