New 4x2x2 and wanted confirmation on my set up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill start by indroducing myself and my Dragon, I am called Jake and my dragon is called Meeko! I have had her for almost a year and she has been in a 60 gal and now shes coming up to being fully grown i have opted to invest in a new viv for her! here is the current set up for the 60 gal;
UVB tube, 12% 2/3 of the viv length, 40C basking spot and 28C cool side, slate tiles as substrate.

her diet consists of mealworms and dubia roaches, having calcium dust 5/7 days and multi vits 2/7 days. sometimes she gets waxworms and superworms for treats. greens wise i havent been able to get much in to her, however i thought she was brumating for a while but then her appetite picked up a little but still very lethargic and bad poop and then appetite went again so just sent off a poop sample which gives me a chance to get her setup right before she goes into the new viv.

This is the current set up for the new viv then!!

its a 120 gal, 4x2x2 wooden vivarium, waterproofed with pond liner and aquarium sealant on the bottom 5". for substrate i am using arcadia arid earth mix, spag moss mixed in and under rocks and wood and leaf litter. for cuc i have springtails, purple/grey/orange isopods.

now onto the bit i am a little lost with; lighting and heating. so far i have an arcadia 12% T5 uvb tube, the 39w one and currently a 150w basking spot bulb, as i tried 50 and 100 and they managed to get the basking spot temps but no the rest of the viv, so once she goes in i have a high temp thermostat which i will hook up to the 150w bulb to keep the basking spot at 41C as well as a dual probe thermometer for either end and a temp gun for precise checking. however because i have a wooden viv i cannot mount the bulb on the outside and it hangs pretty low, so the basking spot has to be low compared to the rest of the viv, so when she is basking she will be 15-14" away from the uvb but the highest point of the viv is 10" away, will she climb to get more if she needs it, or will i have to buy a second thermosts and a che for the rest of the viv and use a 50w for the basking spot and raise it, the second option i have is hang the uvb tube using cable ties so it is level with the basking bulb, however then she wont have many areas to climb up high which is what i wanted the larger viv for. if i keep it how it is, will she climb up her logs to get to hte uvb rays, or will she rely on the basking spot for uvb and therefor i will have to make amends?

thank you so much, im happy to answer any more questions, or post a picture!

JakeDagger

Original Poster
Here is a photo of the viv anyway, as i said there will still be changes but i just want to get lighting and temps right hopefully without spending any more money as this setup has already exceeded my £450 budget... I forgot to add the humidity seems to be staying around 40% but its only the second day since setup so im assuming it will keep dropping for a while, i want to aim for 30%!

anyway, here is the viv:

8-DA8-DF9-A-1263-4245-AB77-B542-A262-DB8-C.jpg

JakeDagger

Original Poster
You cant really tell, but the basking rock is 15"away from the uvb, and the log on the left is 10" at its highest, however the basking bulb hangs pretty far down so no way i could raise the fixture either.

JakeDagger

Original Poster
Would it possibly be best to buy a 14% arcadia T5 Dragon tuve which boasts uVI of 6 at 15" and then keep the basking spot where it is? but then i wouldnt be able to let her climb as much as shed get burnt...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 12% Arcadia bulb is a Desert or Euro bulb? Is there a reflector on the fixture? the 14% bulb is going to be too strong w/ the 14-15" distance -- those bulbs require a distance of at least 17-18 inches and unless you can strap it to the roof of the tank I would not advise it -- your basking bulb should be directly above Meeko - you dont want the light shining into the eyes -- you need to get her to start eating salads now --- order some BSFL also known as calci worms phoenix worms or nutri grubs they are a great staple feeder order large do not dust them add them to the tops of her salads in front of her - they will lure her to the bowl - do this first thing in the morning you can use your super worms 1-3 tops add those as well in front of her let her eat for like an hr then add your dubias to the salad --- your humidity is fine -- optimal is 30-40% -- you dont want it lower than 20 and no higher than 70%

JakeDagger

Original Poster
The UVB is a 12% desert bulb, and its currently mounted to the celing of the viv, approximately 15"away from basking rock and 10"away from the max height she can climb to. the basking bulb is directly above her shining vertically around 8-9"above it reaching temps of around 40C on the basking rock. because of suspected parasites she doesnt really have an appetite so trying to entice her with gugs would be hard, however when i get the results back and medication hopefully shell get her monsterous appetite back! once she tried to bite my finger trying to get to her bowl!! Ill definately order some BSFL and add tehm to her salad, and ill try the superworms and dubias as well! thank you for that advice!! and yeah ive read that humidity in bioactive is different to sterile vivs as in a sterile viv, fungus and mold can grow which can cause RI however in bioactive the humidity isnt like that and they can tolerate humidity spikes, so ill aim to keep it between 30-45%! thank you!! in her old tank now its 32% and has been like that for the last year!

JakeDagger

Original Poster
Yes sorry i completely skimmed over that in your reply, there is a relfector! would that push enough uvb to the basking spot, but then aslo because she is able to egt higher up on a log, would that compensate for what isnt got from the basking site?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The reflector directs the rays downward I think the distance is ok but if he starts not eating or behavior changes you might want to drop a little but see what happens- the reflector also intensifies the rays which is good

JakeDagger

Original Poster
Its difficult to tell at the moment as i mentioned earlier im currently testing her to see if she has parasites now as shes always had a HO uvb tube(replaced twice) and adequate temperatures and humidity, so the lethargy and loss of appetite could be attributed to parasites mostly, but hopefully onces shes treated her appetite will come back and if it does then ill pop her in the new tank and see how she does, if the appetire drops i shall suspend the uvb with cable ties!! thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If she does have parasites then they will put her on meds albon / panacur are some --- her appetite might decrease on the meds which is normal -- but after treatment her appetite will come back not just as fast as we would like but lets see what happens --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom