Reflector Orientation on Sunblaster Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to make sure that the orientation of the reflector on my Sunblaster fixture is correct. The second picture is how it was out of the box. It is a mirror finish with no orange peel effect. It's kind of hard to see, but it's just to the right of the black plastic reflector holder.

The first picture is how I have it now, and there is a little bit of a texture to it, though I wouldn't call it orange peel. I think this is the right way to have it, but it doesn't quite look like the picture I saw on a post here. The post also mentioned that the correct side will scratch easily, but both sides scratch fairly easily for me.

Since I don't have a UVB tester, I'm hoping some experts here can help me out. Thanks!

110702-3323214636.jpg
110702-8839337667.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd imagine you want the side with the smoother finish to face out and reflect the light from the bulb for optimal output. I didn't know that the reflective portion could be reversed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah I forgot about that thread. Since so much work was done to research and test, I'd certainly defer to the recommendations that are there. It does look like the more matte looking side should be facing the bulb, which is the opposite of what I'd thought.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like you have it right. In your second picture, you can see that the side that is up against the plastic (the side not showing) reflects images very clearly. The non-UV reflecting side is the side that reflects images clearly.

It's easier to not necessarily look for the orange peel or if the surface scratches, but to just pay attention to which reflects an image better.

Good image reflection = no UV reflection.
Poor image reflection = good UV reflection.

Sunblaster assured me that it was just a manufacturing mistake where they were being put in upside down, and all new ones should be flipped the right way. Always good to double check though :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom