NEWBIE! Baby dragon new habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeah123

Hello All!

Coming here for some advice as I want to give my beardy the best life they can have! Bit of background: I have a 2 month old Beardy (so not sure of the sex yet) I have had my beardy home for 4-5 hours and it has just sat on the cooler side of the Vivarium and not really moved. I offered some small pieces of cucumber but was not taken. Should I be worried or should I just leave the beardy alone to settle?

Thank you!

(EDIT: I just realised I posted this in the introduction forum. I am sorry!! My beardie is called Flick!)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He should be under his basking light- please tell me what your using for taking basking temps--- no stick ons you need a digital.probe thermometer-- what size tank? Uvb is it a coil or tube? These questions I asked are the most important things in the tank-- they control the overall health and behavior

Leeah123

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3lxsmytx said:
He should be under his basking light- please tell me what your using for taking basking temps--- no stick ons you need a digital.probe thermometer-- what size tank? Uvb is it a coil or tube? These questions I asked are the most important things in the tank-- they control the overall health and behavior

I’m in the Uk and got everything that was recommended by the reptile shop owners. I’ve attached pictures of my lighting equipment.The daytime temps were today at 37C in the basking area. It is a 4Ft tank so quite bit for the little one...
110880-6319524273.jpg
110880-528610442.jpg
110880-839307905.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want your basking temps 105-110F taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the UVB has a controller on it? I am not sure what that controller is being used for unless its for your basking light-- the UVB bulb I would swap out for this Arcadia Desert 12% bulb --- place it inside your tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches that would be a T 5 -- the one you have does it say on the bulb if its a T 5 or T 8? If its a T 8 of which I am think it is your going to need a new fixture -- you can get a Arcadia Desert 10% bulb that is a T 8--- that would fix the T 8 fixture you have now if I am thinking correctly- the bulbs T 5 and T 8's have different placement distances thats why I am trying to clarify this -- also does the UVB fixture have a reflector on it? that would be the shiny part behind the bulb-- all these things I am asking are crucial to your little one- the bulb UVB bulb your using now I see has been discontinued --- the Arcadia bulbs are a way better bulb but we need to get it set up correctly for them to be effective --- your tank is a 4 ft tank what is the height of the tank ?

Leeah123

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3leeolts said:
You want your basking temps 105-110F taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- the UVB has a controller on it? I am not sure what that controller is being used for unless its for your basking light-- the UVB bulb I would swap out for this Arcadia Desert 12% bulb --- place it inside your tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches that would be a T 5 -- the one you have does it say on the bulb if its a T 5 or T 8? If its a T 8 of which I am think it is your going to need a new fixture -- you can get a Arcadia Desert 10% bulb that is a T 8--- that would fix the T 8 fixture you have now if I am thinking correctly- the bulbs T 5 and T 8's have different placement distances thats why I am trying to clarify this -- also does the UVB fixture have a reflector on it? that would be the shiny part behind the bulb-- all these things I am asking are crucial to your little one- the bulb UVB bulb your using now I see has been discontinued --- the Arcadia bulbs are a way better bulb but we need to get it set up correctly for them to be effective --- your tank is a 4 ft tank what is the height of the tank ?

I am also unsure of that. It actually comes off and looks like a battery. The current UBV I have is a T8 without a reflector on the fixture. 16.5 inches is how tall it is, 14.5 is the depth and 45.5 inches is the length.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is the link for posting -https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Ok you will need to get a reflector for the UVB --- https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/
Since you have a 16" high tank please stay w/ the T 8 -- it needs to go inside the tank w/a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- please get the reflector ASAP--- those rays need to be directed downward to him as of now they are not ---- this is a issue -- please keep him hydrated either by dropping water on his nose or misting him or by syringe -- if giving by syringe administer VERY SLOWLY you dont want him aspirating -- you need to get the temps up for basking using a digital probe thermometer and the UVB corrected --- those things will keep him from not eating if not corrected unless hes got something else going on that we dont know about yet --
nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder along

Leeah123

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2oz7nmme said:
Here is the link for posting -https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post
Ok you will need to get a reflector for the UVB --- https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-t8-fluorescent-reflectors/
Since you have a 16" high tank please stay w/ the T 8 -- it needs to go inside the tank w/a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor-- please get the reflector ASAP--- those rays need to be directed downward to him as of now they are not ---- this is a issue -- please keep him hydrated either by dropping water on his nose or misting him or by syringe -- if giving by syringe administer VERY SLOWLY you dont want him aspirating -- you need to get the temps up for basking using a digital probe thermometer and the UVB corrected --- those things will keep him from not eating if not corrected unless hes got something else going on that we dont know about yet --
nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder along

I have ordered the reflector and I am replacing the sand ASAP I have a nonslip shelf liner coming. Once I’ve sorted out the sand and he’s relaxed I will attach a picture of the set up. Thank you so much for your help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You've gotten some good advice so far that should set you in the right direction. Please let us know if you have any further questions. Once you have your enclosure modifications complete and ready to go, please post some photos of it if you'd like and we can review to make sure everything is just right for Flick.

Moved by moderator from Introductions to Enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom