New viv, not sure about the lighting situation?? help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hii!! I just upgraded my two beardies (housed seperately) from 40 gallons glass tanks to 120 gallon pvc enclosures. However, the light fixture included for the heat bulb does not have any sort of cage or prptection over the bulb and am a little concerned over that being safe. I am using a 75watt bulb but the temperature in the enclosure seems to be much higher, I used to keep their basking spot elevated but now it is on the bottom because my thermometer is reading the basking spot at 110-119. Should I go down to a 50w? Any suggestions would be great.
110415-4646485536.jpg
110415-2817965327.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The PVC will insulate much better than glass so you may need to make lighting adjustments. If the basking spot is getting to the correct surface temperature on the floor, then it may be OK as it is, but I'd provide a place to climb and perch in another area of the enclosure. You could also swap out the bulb for a less powerful one and raise the basking area up. That comes down to mostly surface temperature reading and not wanting to remove a climbing area from the enclosure. The basking area doesn't necessarily have to be elevated though. As far as the cage goes, as long as the bulb is at a distance where it is out of reach then a cage may not be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom